• In the Spotlight:

When can i switch my son to "banana" flavoured rice cereal from the reg stuff!

My son is 5 months old, He was born 10 lbs and is bigger then most babies his age, so I started him on rice cereal a bit early at 5 months rather then 6...my doc said it was fine and he showed all signs of being ready to eat something more, the formula just wasen't enough anymore really. SO my main question is: he's now 5.5 months he'll be 6 month on Dec 14th and I want to start him on the flavoured rice cereal perferably banana! When would you reccomend I do this...is it bad to not wait right till 5 months??

aidansmyheart

Asked by aidansmyheart at 6:38 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it would be ok. The only thing is that the banana solidify's their poop and ontop of the cereal, it may be a little too much. If it were me I would do the apple cereal. The pieces are a bit bigger but I gave it to my daughter and she liked it. if you'd like the same effect without having to use the same thing everyday, you can just put some real fruit in it. they tend to like that more anyways! Apple's and banana's are both the safest fruits to start a new eater on.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Thank's! I never even thought of apple and didn't know banana might do that. When did you first feed your daughter on the other types of beginner foods? Should I really wait the few week's to reach 6 months...
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 8:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I started putting a little in her cereal at about the same time. I waited to start her full on until six months...but a little in her cereal won't hurt. I actually started because 1, she just started refusing cereal unless it had something sweet in it and 2, because she was a little constipated and my mom told me I could do that. The cereal with fruit already in it is textured and is more for a baby that is just starting to eat textured food. Although, after a while she liked it...in the beginning she would find a way to spit out the little pieces and eat the rest!!
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• You can start on the fruits and veggies when ever you like at this point. Just make sure you start them one at a time and feed the same 'new' food for a couple of days to make sure there is no reaction. If you start more than one at a time and you get a little reaction it could be tough to figure out which one did it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:30 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i feed my off the table when he where 2mo
    devon229

Answer by devon229 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i started my son on the flavored cereal espically bananna at 4 months and he has done just fine so i would go ahead
    and if he is ready try the baby food fruit one fruit a week to make sure he does not have an allergic reaction if he does not do well with the sp
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 12:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2008