Im 15 weeks and 4 days pregnant ?

I wanna find out the gender my doctor is not gonna do an ultrasound till I'm 19 weeks to find out the gender I was just wondering if I went somewhere else to get an ultrasound done if medcaid will cover it or do I have to pay out of my pocket I'm not gonna get a 3d I'm just gonna get a 2d .

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You are too early, and medicaid only covers a u/s that is done by your doc, if u change ur pcp then it will cover but they are still gonna make u wait till 19-21 weeks for the gender
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• well...I'm not sure if they'll be able to tell...But I had to get an ultrasound done because I was having bad pains in my tummy and it was a second ultra sound that medicaid had to pay for, so I know they will pay for it...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 9:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Trust me, you don't want them to guess the sex this early. Everyone starts out looking like a girl. If they guess at this point you could wind up with the wrong color of clothes on delivery day!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I do believe Medicaid will only cover one ultrasound. Unless there is a medical reason. I had to wait until 20 weeks to get mine done. It's a long wait but it's worth it.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Gender determination ultrasounds are optional, so no insurance or Medicaid will cover those. You'd have to pay out of pocket, or just wait until you had your anatomy scan around 20 weeks to see the baby's goods. If I were you, I'd just wait, since earlier ultrasounds for gender prediction are more likely to be wrong. An ultrasound at 20 weeks is much more likely to be correct for gender determination since the external genitalia have formed to a much more obviously visible state.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Most, if not all, insurance companies that I know of -- private as well as Medicaid -- will only cover ultrasounds in excess of the early first ultrasound and possibly a second anatomy scan if it's medically indicated, meaning there has to be a reason for it besides just wanting it. You can pay out of pocket and bypass insurance completely, or you can check colleges in your area for ultrasound tech training programs and see about getting a note from your doctor to do one there for free (for training purposes, so no guarantees about what they say). Either way, I'd wait until the mid-term ultrasound to pin your guesses on one gender or the other. There's a reason they don't try to guess before then. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm pretty sure it's not covered unless you have a legitimate medical problem.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No it will not cover it. It is not medically necessary and most independent companies will not do it until 18 weeks anyway.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You will have to pay out of pocket.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011