Herbal teas during third trimester...

okay, i am 36 weeks and havebeen thinking about starting to drink chamomile tea.... i did it with my last two pregnancies and everything was fine.... i come from a hispanic family and traditionally a pregnant woman is known to drink chamomile tea during the last few weeks of her pregnancy...i had never been curious as to what are the benefits, or if there are any risks, but now i started getting curious.... so my question is do you know the benefits and risks for drinking this tea? also what about green tea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Both are fine during pregnancy. Chamomile isn't going to do anything more than help calm you and help you sleep. (Though I do think it can help with skin irritation, too.) You shouldn't drink it in excess, but it is fine to have a cup or two a day. Red raspberry leaf and/or nettle tea would help more during these last few weeks if you're looking for help with the labor process. They help uterine tone, help you avoid excessive blood loss when the baby is born, and give you some good nutrients in the process.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The antioxidants in green tea inhibit your body's absorption of folic acid, which of course is one of the big deals in pregnancy. Not such a big deal in the last weeks of pregnancy, especially when compared to the very early weeks, but I still wouldn't go overboard. A cup or two won't hurt anything, though.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was told by a Cherokee to drink raspberry leaf tea...
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I never heard about tea being bad, especially chamomile -- there's nothing in it practically.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've read conflicting information about chamomile tea during pregnancy. I avoided it while pregnant, but if you feel comfortable, go for it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There is no reason to avoid herbals (especially COMPLETELY BENIGN ones which are available on grocery shelves).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011