What is the best way to make a weighted blanket or lap pad?

I've seen tutorials that tell you to sew everything, and then I've seen tutorials that say to use ziploc bags and velcro so it's washable.

Anyone have any experience with this?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think it depends on where you'd use it... If there's a chance of children or pets spilling something on it, I'd make it washable. If not, then I'd sew it for the "neater" look.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I make weighted blankets (Happiness A-Weights) and really encourage you to make one that is fully washable. I recommend using poly pellets. I know they are expensive if you buy them at a craft store like Joann's or Michaels (even using the coupons). I found a site that has US made ones and they were the least expensive. www.craftpellets.com Actually, I like the product so well the owner of the site and I became friends and I just took over the site for her. We have a link on there for directions on how to make the blankets.

I am totally sold on weighted blankets. I've seen the difference they make without adding medication. It is an all-natural way to help these special people to calm, focus and sleep.
    muffin2172

Answer by muffin2172 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011