crys when cant get what wants .

my son is 5 and he still crys when he cant get his own way ,it really gets on my nerves how do you handle this ,I dont give into him by the way ,but I wish he would grow out of it .

loulou332

Asked by loulou332 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sometimes I sit there and say, "oh, poor baby..but I don't feel sorry for you." He wants the sympathy, so he'll stop crying long enough to ask, "why not?" and I'll explain why. That works a lot.

I also use traditional time outs (with set times, till I go and get him) and a new one where I tell him to go to the "naughty couch" until he's done misbehaving, where he chooses when he's done acting up and gets up on his own. (i.e. yesterday he wasn't being nice to Daddy so I told him to go sit there until he could be nice to Daddy).

Walking away often helps too. "Well, you aren't getting that, and I have things to do so, you can stay here and cry like a baby till you accept you can't have that. See ya later."
    Anonymous

• Its annoying! I can totally agree! I finally had to start picking my battles better, I also realized the power of cause and effect and explained it to my 6 year old. He will grow out of it!! Hang in there mom! And if you can get away with it, (at home, at least) walk away, if he doesn't have your attention maybe he will stop....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Children need to know they are heard and understood, and they also need limits. My 5 year-old cries sometimes too. (Sometimes he even tells me I "hurt his feelings" when I reprimand him for bad behavior!) You need to say something like, "I know you really want the (whatever it is), but we are not shopping for you today. I can give you a hug, if it will make you feel better." Offer sympathy for his feelings, reinforce that his behavior isn't going to get him what he wants, and show that you love him. 5 is still pretty young, and they are easily overwhelmed by their feelings!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 7:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• thank you ,the advice you have given has been great .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• send him to his room so you want here it
    devon229

Answer by devon229 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008