Buying a used car....

I only can spend about 5000 on a car should I buy a used car from a dealer or a private person (just out of iwanta or craigslist) I don't know much about cars so where should i buy from....also does used car places sell "bad" or "lemon" cars?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Shopping

• My husband works at a dealership. The lemon law only covers new cars.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, used car places sell lemon cars. :( I got one. I would encourage you to look into the "lemon laws" in your state before you decide.

Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You'll get a better deal buying privately.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You'll find a better car, cheaper, privately. And make sure you have a mechanic look it over before you buy.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I will only ever go to a repuatble dealership. I imagine there are good, reputable companies selling used cars, but I am weary. I would start at a better known place. (I don't know if GO dealerships are around you, but they are good. Avoid places that say "push, pull or drag and we will give you $3000 for your used car!" That is a gimmick. They raise the prices of their cars over kellybluebook value to make up the money. Be sure to buy a certified vehicle. Know what your warranty is. Some "Limited Warranties" only cover inexpensive parts like winsheild wipers. Of course, you cannot expect a "perfect" car buying used either. Go online to kbb.com and find the actual value of the car so you do not get ripped off. Ask for carfax to be sure the car was not flooded, in an accident, fire, etc... Go in with a "I don't need your car" attitude. Don't let them know you don't have a car, or your current car is unreliable.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Are you the one that asked this question a week or two ago? The question is almost 100% identical to the one that was previously posted.
    Anonymous

• when you say those things they see "desparate" which turns into them seeing $$$ signs. Remember they are paid pn commission. Things you can add yourself for a one-time charge like car alarms, make them remove them. Sure they are great to have for safety and insurance reasons, but you can buy one and have it installed very inexpensively as opposed to the one they will sell you for $500 after interest you will pay more like $1k-1300. If the dealer seems pushy, get another one. Some people buy into their pushiness and greed, I ask for another salesman. If they seem short with you-walk away. You can always get another car at another dealership. I know KIA makes really inexpensive cars, and I have only heard good things, but I cannot say for sure! GL!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• "Are you the one that asked this question a week or two ago? The question is almost 100% identical to the one that was previously posted."
    Who cares?!?! Maybe she didn't get the information she needed to make a sound decision. And if it was 2 weeks ago...c'mon?!?! Its not a redundant post...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would suggest from a private party because the dealerships normally add 1000.00 to the cost of the vehicles. It is how they cover their expenses and profits. I worked at dealerships for about 20 years. :-) The most important thing is to have the vehicle looked at by a good mechanic of your choice and if it were me, a body shop to check everything over prior to buying ( and not at the dealership that you are looking at it in if that is the situation). There are hazards everywhere when purchasing used vehicles. You can also call the service department for the according brand to ask if there are any chronic problems with the year and make of the vehicle you are looking at. Look closely at the interior wear, the body and check to see if the trunk has held water, alot of them leak, look at the spare tire holder to see. You can many times get on carfax.com to see the history. Take your time and shop thouroughly.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No matter where you go....TAKE A MECHANIC FRIEND with you regardless if you go to a dealership or a private sale. Some "reputable" dealers only do quick fixes on used cars just to get them sold. good luck!
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 4:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011