Need summer vacation ideas, ladies!!

we live in NE-Ark, near Memphis(location given so you know where our starting point is..LOL!)..and we will be driving, because we're crazy like that...

so, what/where do you suggest we do/go that is w/i a 10hr drive, somewhat kid-friendly, but not necesarily all about ''the usual'' kid-entertainment?? (somewhere out of Arkansas/Memphis..we go to Memphis regularly.)

we're simple and easy..we like comfortable lodging, pool/water, restaurants..y'know, typical ammenities.

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 10:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Travel

• What about Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge? We went there for vacation in 2009 & had lots of fun. Many people say it is too touristy & can be very expensive. I agree that it has lot of touristy things to do, but if you plan well beforehand, you can do it within a budget. I did some asking around & online research to find out places to visit & which places to avoid. This saved us money too. It has plenty to do for adults & kids. I loved that it offers lots of indoor & outdoor activities. It rained quite a bit when we went so we were glad that they had indoor attractions. Luckily, we had some good weather too for the outdoor stuff. We camped, but there are tons of hotels & cabins. Wonderworks, Comedy Barn, Dixie Stampede, magic show, whitewater rafting, river tubing, Cades Cove (scenic drive through the Smokey Mountains), Ober Gatlinburg, Dollywood, etc are great places to visit.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Graceland?

Okay probably not that fun for kids. But I would love to go. I was born the exact day Elvis died and always thought it would be cool to go there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• How about Louisville? We really like the Louisville Science Center, and you can do things like tour Churchill Downs, the Louisville Slugger Museum, the Jim Beam or Jack Daniels factory (not sure which is there...can't remember), close to Mammoth Caves, there is a Cheesecake Factory there, some shopping, and a baseball game. The Louisville Zoo is nice and has a little water park in the summer...not too expensive either. It is a nice little trip.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• HA ha ha! I as just thinking about what I would like to do :p

No need to edit the question. I am from Colorado, so that is the only thing I can think of that is near you. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• How about Texas? You could go to the south DFW area and camp (in a cabin, tent or rv) at Yogi Bear's Jellystone National Park (also has pools/paddleboats/canoeing/games/mining for gems and lots of family stuff; you could go to Six Flags or one of several water parks; there is also children's theater, great shopping and restaurants; anything you want would be nearby!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• And oh yea, the Ft. Worth Zoo is awesome too!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't know things in that area, but camping is always fun! there are lots of family friendl campgrounds with activities for a variety of age levels, like yogi bear jellystone campgrounds but there's plenty of others out there too i'm sure.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• OK so I just mapquested memphis to several places...what about new orleans? or the florida panhandle?
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 4:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• First off save ton by getting yourself the GRN membership. http://www.travelvacationsecrets.com you can travel with your entire family to a 4 or 5 star resort for at the most 699 the entire week.
    MichelleAlpha

Answer by MichelleAlpha at 8:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no!!! lol....no elvis..he left the building!!

ok..i'll edit the question.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011