House training tips

I have 2 English Bulldogs one is a male and he is about 3 years old or so I was told when I adopted him. His name is Harley. We also have an English Bulldog puppy that is 4 months old. Before we got our puppy Harley rarely had accidents. Now they are almost daily. When we tried to crate train the puppy she cried like we were killing her. Does anyone have any ideas or tips? We are keeping them baby gated in the kitchen to help save the carpet.

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 10:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Some dogs respond well to crate training, others don't I would recommend trying to look for a pattern in their urination times. (Mine have certain times of day that I just know they have to pee, kind of like training a toddler to use the toilet.) Also, if you are letting them pee in the kitchen, then they may see that as the appropriate place to pee. My dogs don't react well to negative reinforcement. What worked best for me was to take them outside every time they had to pee or peed. Even if they pee in the house, we go outside right then. Eventually they do catch on that outside = pee. And make sure you thoroughly clean where they pee. You don't want them smelling their pee (or the other dog's) and remarking their territory. If it smells like pee they think it is a good place to pee. Make sure to congratulate them when they do pee outside, they love the praise.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We have a new choc lab puppy who is 4 months and a german shepard who is 3. Our trainer told us after the puppy is fed take him out 10-15 minutes after bc puppies cant contrpl their bowls and bladder yet. Reward him with a treat for going outside. I recommend getting a book about bulldogs to help u understand them and most the books have a section on house training.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• She is crying because the other dog is separated from her. It will get better.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2011