Budget cuts.

So my daughter comes home from school today devastated. She ran straight to her room and cried. I asked her what was wrong and she told me the school board is cutting the music program to give MORE money to the sports program!!! And not just music but drama, home ec and art as well! I am up in arms about this. I will be approaching the school board at the next meeting because this is unacceptable. The football team already takes a travel bus with TV's and everything to every game. Why do they need MORE of the school's budget for equipment?! RIDE A YELLOW SCHOOL BUS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! I'm not going to say that sports are not important because they are. They teach teamwork, respect and trust. But why should we sacrifice the arts which teach our children creativity, freedom of thought, more complex thought, and team work. It also promotes learning ability and gives children a creative outlet to express what they're feeling. Drama teaches empathy and shows you how to see both sides of a story by taking on the roles. The arts inspire passion and feeling and individuality. I'm not saying get rid of sports, but why should we have to sacrifice all the wonderful and important things our kids learn through music to make the football players more comfortable?

Would you be furious if you found out it was being cut from your schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• That's bull crap. The money isn't going to the football team - the football team bus was probably paid for by the booster club funds.

And I'm a BAND PARENT! But I know how the funding works. Money that goes to pay the salaries of the band director(s), drama teacher(s), etc. to help pay for the other things that were cut out of the budget like core teacher salaries, lab fees, etc. But I guarantdamntee, that it isn't going to the football program. That would be the band director spouting off.
    Anonymous

• I work at a High School.... I'd have to say Anon above it probably correct!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• This just recently happened in our school district, I don't go to school anymore, and my kids don't go yet, so IDK what exactly they cute it for but I was sooooooo mad!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 10:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That totally sucks. I was a band/choir/drama geek, so I totally understand where she must be coming from. I'd be FURIOUS, and I'd be marching up to the Board of Education in my area if this were happening to my child.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree with you. Its bad to make all the othe rkids (that are not in sports) suffer and give the spost kids a special bus with tvs. Cut money on that bus, sell that bus and let them ride in a regular yello one without tv and such things!
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Do you live in Texas???
    Anonymous

• Id be beyond furious!!! We NEED music and art's programs in school. Not every kid can play sports, and TOO many that want to never make the team, so what's left? Art's and music.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I graduated in 06 and I can relate. We didn't have that much of a problem because the football team raked in a lot of money ($5 per person to get into the game plus all the food people buy). I think it sucks when this happens because if you think about it, a pretty small % do sports where as most either do music, art or drama
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Wow! The football bus has TVs???? This is unconscionable. I would be furious, even if my kid wasn't involved in music/drama etc. and if he was involved in sports!!!

You need to get a group of parents together to go to that board meeting. Strength in numbers.

Wow. Just wow.
    4EqltyMom

Answer by 4EqltyMom at 12:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011