Does it scare you?

When looking at the answers to polls or questions here on Cafemom, specifically in the religion or politics sections, are you ever SERIOUSLY afraid for the children of some of the respondents?

Sometimes I see answers or comments that are full of ignorance, hate, bigotry, or plain old crazy. It scares me sometimes to know that these women are raising children. I know that some of the moms that I feel this way about would probably feel exactly the same way about me, but I wondered if anyone else has ever run across a question or answer that made them terrified for the kids being raised in that home...

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 8:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do believe that more and more people are coming together and embracing diversity. I see it here on CM, I see the unity, it's out there, one just has to be careful where they hang out here o CM, there are plenty of most beautiful people here. I know that by time our children are adults the open minded, excepting, respecting, strong courageously loving and compassionate people will be the majority. Things are changing in the direction of love, humanity and acceptance.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yes quite often. I find the fanatically religious - no matter the religion - to be very scary. And knowing they are passing their beliefs on to defensless kids is also very scary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Sometimes. I think most of us knows what happens when you allow religion to "take over" your life. I've seen enough news stories and read enough horror stories that took place due to "cult-like" beliefs and I agree with Anon, this is not ONE religion, it spans many.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I agree that it is not one specific group or religion. That is why I was careful not to post the exact things I've seen that frighten me. In the end, it's fanaticism or ignorance in general that really scare me...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yes, I posted something in politics one time and was truly frightened by the responses! I just can't imagine how their children are going to grow up! It amazes me that ignorance still prevails in this day and time.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Right. And I truly think that we'll continue to have wars and constant battles until parents stop teaching their children to be prejudiced due to "religion" and start allowing them to think outside of the box and be more accepting of our differences.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Many times! I see these posts about how these children are being brought up to think everything outside their little box is EVIL... And it truly bothers me... My children are being raised by a Christian and a Pagan and are being given every chace possible to love everyone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yes, but I find the women who are so hateful to people trying to be religious and good, much more frightening then the fanatically religious. The people spewing out hatred and sometimes even violence are the ones whos children you should fear for. Not those who try to teach them about God.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• That took alot of nerve to say that. many parents like myself are raising children according to biblical standards only. why in the world would i leave an insane confused person like many of the people i have heard on cm to teach my children standards? the bible is the only i mean the only sound doctrine and common sense way to raise children. if i do not teach my children to stand for something (Christ) they will fall for anything! ( this confused world). why would i leave them to a world who can't even determine their own sex? all they have to do is look between their legs. this world is confused and going nowhere. I feel sorry for the children who are being raised by parents who let any and everybody determine for them what is right according to their own personal sick agenda.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 11:10 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Sis jackson, I will say again as I did in the other post ...

The bible may be the only way for you to raise YOUR children, but it is not the only way for me to raise MINE.

And as for you and Amber both, I didn't call out your faith specifically, and I did post that it is the Hateful AND bigoted AND ignorant answers that scare me. Christians don't scare me. For the most part they have a good bead on things. It is the INTOLERANT that scare me. And yes, even those that are INTOLERANT of your faith.

That's the difference between us...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 11:55 AM on Nov. 28, 2008