Does it scare you?

(Also posted in the religion section...)

When looking at the answers to polls or questions here on Cafemom, specifically in the religion or politics sections, are you ever SERIOUSLY afraid for the children of some of the respondents?

Sometimes I see answers or comments that are full of ignorance, hate, bigotry, or plain old crazy. It scares me sometimes to know that these women are raising children. I know that some of the moms that I feel this way about would probably feel exactly the same way about me, but I wondered if anyone else has ever run across a question or answer that made them terrified for the kids being raised in that home...

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 8:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes and no. It is sad that there are many women who are raising children to be intolerant and fearful of others who do not believe, worship, or have the same lifestyle and values/norms as their particular family. The world in an intricately diverse place with many valid culteral, political, religious, and philosophical world views and perspectives. It scares me that my child will be hurt either physically, emotionally, mentally, financially, or academically as a direct result of someone's unjust and uneducated intolerance. I believe that each person has the right to their own world view and truth as they see it. But just because the Bible or Koran is your personal light and truth doesn't mean that it is the truth for everyone. There are beliefs and then there is just ignorance.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• ya know i never thought about that. thats a good point i just feel sorry for the people themselves. how totally miserabl their lives must be. to be sooo negative,mean and hateful
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• You know, I don't think it makes me scared because honestly, there is a good chunk of society that is that way and will always be that way. Yet we all have survived. As far as their children, they'll thrive also and carry on. Many people not just in the states have narrow views of life and society, it's just the way it is. And the world still turns.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 9:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Let me add once in a while some of the responses tick me off though, but what are ya going to do? YOu just have to take care of your own and raise your own kids the way you see fit with your values etc.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 9:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The thing that keeps me going is knowing that not all kids grow up to be just like their parents. I know I'd rather kill myself than be exactly like MY mom...we're like total polar opposites when it comes to political and religious views...and we disagree a lot when it comes to parenting.

So some of these poor kids will escape relatively unscathed. Others might not be so lucky O.O
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I'm glad I'm not the only one!...What also gets me is how negative some people are.. I was taught to never judge and to always look for the positives to a bad situation!
    jlynrhodes

Answer by jlynrhodes at 9:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It scares me to think that you would leave a world of lawlessness and pervertness to teach your children. You would think a good parent would use good wholesome values to raise their children by. in the sick world the bible is the only thing that contains the purest of values and convictions.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 11:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Sis Jackson ...

Who said that they leave the world to teach their children?

Who said that they don't raise their kids with wholesome values?

Who said that the bible is the ONLY way to do that?

I, for one, don't agree with all of the values taught in the bible, and it is answers like yours that scare me. Not because you believe that the bible is the best way to teach YOUR children, but because you think it is the best way to teach MINE, and that it is your right to condemn me for not...

*grumble grumble*
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 11:49 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• No, it doesn't scare me. I like to hear other points of view, they provide me with insight I wouldn't have if I didn't hear from others that are so strong in their convictions. Not that I have to agree with it all, but it gives me a good idea of what some other people think. Now, in public, I am reasonably sure that most of the women on here would be very pleasant to talk to. After all, how often do you walk up to strangers and start a political discussion? I have some strong beliefs of my own, but try my hardest to give my children a more open view of issues. Age appropriate of course. I know there are some nasty responses to some questions, but just a reminder that disagreeing on a subject doesn't make you a hater, bigot or racist.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I have been told on here that I shouldn't be allowed to have children because I choose not to worship a man who was nailed to a tree 2000 years ago.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2008