Family

My niece is 28 yrs old and last year she stole a lot of things from my house, 3 nintendo ds's plus games,my son psp that he got for his birthday,a camera, and an ipod. My husband turned her into the police after we found some of our things at game stop. Anyways she lives with her mom, and her brother. She has an adorable little girl and I was just really shocked when the cops told us it was her that took our things. We also found a pawn shop that said she was in their selling our shit. We never said she could have these things and she's telling the cops that she accidentally put it in her purse. Ya right b.s. Her mom isnt my friend anymore on facebook and it really gets to me how people especially family can be so spiteful. She told me that her daughter needed to learn a lesson. Then she has the gawl to say "you better hope your kids never get into this kind of trouble. What the hell am I suppose to say? I wrote her a letter and asked her why she was giving me the cold shoulder. I told her I didnt steal anything from them,and if my daughter took anything I would've at least offered to help pay it back and made her come over and apologize instead of her mother offering her daughters apology. What a woman huh! My husband who turned her in has to go to court soon over this. I think its a waste of time. I would like to ask her what the hell she was thinking. If someone took her babys stuff that she busted her butt for, I'm sure she wold feel the same way I feel. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• She is a thief plane and simple, she needs to learn a lesson now because if she doesnt then eventually she gonna hit the bigger tag items and end up in prison. You dont have to put up with that, you wouldnt if it was some random person so why put up with it just because its family. Also trust was broken therefore it has to be earned even then I wouldnt trust them
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 11:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The mother may be giving you the cold shoulder out of embarassment? I wouldn't worry so much about talking it out with her currently doesn't sound like she's ready. That could change though. I'm sure you've thought of this, but I would use this as a learning opportunity with my kids about how theft/crime/drugs etc alienate you from your family, get you in trouble with the law and having your stuff stolen doesn't make you feel good right-so why would you do this to someone else.

Anyhow this is awful, and it's too bad there seems to be such a lack of moral or any concern for the people around us.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 11:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• ya I just feel like I'm the bad guy here because husband took it to the law.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You're taking her to court and you're wondering why you're getting the cold shoulder?

I understand that you are the victim in this, but if you wanted to keep family relations civil, it would have made more sense to try to work out the situation without pressing charges against her. That kind of thing usually doesn't create warm fuzzy feelings in people, no matter who's at fault.

Personally, if it were me, I don't think I would care if they weren't my "facebook friends" anymore!
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I didnt want to go down that road Eek believe me I begged my husband to just go talk with them,he outright refused to listen and its his sisters daughter.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't think you or your husband are the "bad guys" for taking it to the law, but neither would I expect to have a chummy relationship with the family anymore. Is this your sister or his? If she was mature about it, she wouldn't take her daughter's side, but would let her daughter suffer the consequences of her actions.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Is my sister in law =[
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It didn't just accidentally fall into her purse. (It needed a little push if you ask me.) You just don't go around taking other people's things. She needs to accept the consequences of her actions. If she hadn't have taken it in the first place, she wouldn't be in this position. She has nobody but herself to blame.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• same thing happened to us but it was my SIL and BIL who stole from us, and the MIL can't handle people calling her DD out for her drugs and wrong doings, the SIL and BIL are no longer welcome in our home, they even stole our DD's Christmas presents from the inlaws to sell for drugs.. our inlaws up hold them also ,but we stood and still do stand our ground , I don't care if they like me or not, I will not tolerate people like them.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would be mad to because you are the ones that worked for those things and she is the one that stole them. Her mother should have paid you guys back for the items she stole because that isnt teaching her daughter anything. I believe that people that do that are looking for attention and will keep do that. I would waste my time on her because she is going to keep lying and say she never took anything from you.
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2011