How much cereal do you give your baby when you first start them on it?

Just wondering how much cereal to start out with. I have given 1 tbsp so far.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• START IT SLOWLY. INTRODUCING TOO MUCH TOO SOON CAN MAKE THEM VERY GASSY AND COLICKY. I HAVE KNOWN TOO MANY MOMS WHO STARTED FEEDING THEIR BABIES TOO MUCH, TOO SOON, TO TRY TO GET THEM TO SLEEP LONGER AND IT BACKFIRED ON THEM WITH A MORE FUSSY BABY. SO TAKE IT EASY A LITTLE AT A TIME.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I started out with just two tbs (doctor recommended that much) and then just followed my sons cues we are up to 1/4 of a cup of cereal now (four tbs) and that is the most cereal i will give him. Well at least until the doctor says he should eat more. I suggest going up like half a tbs at a time every week until your baby is getting full off of the cereal. But just trust your mothers instinct on what your child wants and needs and you'll be okay!
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 9:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• A souffle cup should do the trick. If you give the the bottle first then they can only eat as much as their body will allow...It's a sure fire way of knowing if your baby is ready for solids!
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I always gave the bottle or breast first and then offered the food. Sometimes they would take a few tablespoons sometimes none. The food in the beginning is just practice and not a nutritional need so it sounds like you are doing fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2008