I'm breastfeeding. When I start solids, do I also need to start giving water?

jennysama

Asked by jennysama at 11:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby only needs breast milk (or formula if you do that later). There's no need for water. While it is good for the body, it is also empty calories. Your baby will be hydrated by your milk just fine.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• @Renee3k, water has no calories. The concern is more that it will fill the baby's stomach, and they won't consume enough of your nutritious breastmilk. No water until 1 year, unless otherwise advised by your pediatrician.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That is what I meant to imply...empty calroies...no calories...eh, so I was off a little. Either way, there's no benefit at that age :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, keep breastfeeding. Always bf before giving solids, also. Solids are NOT important, they offer little nutrition to a baby, breastmilk is still the main source of baby's nutrition til after a year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You don't NEED to, but it's a good idea to start trying a sippy cup around 6-8 months and water is a great thing to put in there.

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Nope. Nurse first, solids after.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You don't NEED to, but you can. I often suggest, after 6 mos, when you start solids, ( which will always come AFTER nursing until baby is 12 mos ) that you can offer a sippy of water with those solids, but just to practice with the cup.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011