Unemployment??????

I started working at the local prison Feb 14th, I was still on the 90 probation period. I got extremely sick, to the point I was hospitalized with Strep throat. I had a doctor's note & they still fired me. In the state of Texas do I qualify for unemployment? And is that considered an illegal fire?

lyvi

Asked by lyvi at 11:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• the only way to find out for sure is to call and ask?! i think i have no idea.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I plan on doing that. I just think it is completely wrong probation period or not to fire someone who has been hospitalized
    lyvi

Comment by lyvi (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• As much as it sucks, they can legally do it. I'm pretty sire you can collect unemployment. I hope you still have the doctor's note- you may need to submit that to them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I definately do, and the hospital kept a copy on their files too. I feel like that is very wrong to do. We worked 12 hours a day a minimum of 4 days a week plus our over time days which I worked 6 days a week normally. Plus the times they needed me when they were short handed. I saved their bottoms on a couple occasions, (inmates sneaking stuff in etc) it just doesn't seem like I would be the one the would want to lose. I was firm yet respectful of the inmates, I never had a mishap. I mean in the few weeks I was there they had 6 gang fights, and usually from an officers mistake, yet even as a newbie I didn't have any mishaps. I cut an inmate down that tried to hang hisself & I was always on time & had never called in before that. It's just stupid in my opinion.
    lyvi

Comment by lyvi (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• you should seriously research that. i dont think thats fair.
    minki111

Answer by minki111 at 4:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

minki111

• I don't know about Texas but where I live you can be fired at any time for any reason. As far as getting unemployment, unless you were working before that job, I doubt you will qualify since you did not work long enough. Where I live you have to have worked at least 6 months before losing your job to be eligible.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Probation period is called that because they could fire you for no reason. In my state, they never need a reason to fire you.
    You won't get unemployement unless you have 6 months of work history.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i believe you have to work anywhere at least 6 month. you don't qualify at not even the 90 day mark. and they can fire you especially if its an at will state. meaning no questions asked and you were on probationary status.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011