Need some advice on possible discrimination...how should i approach this?

about 3 weeks ago, i went into a local pharmacy to get my schedule for clinicals. i talked to the pharmacy manager about what days to come in and what i should wear. she didnt say anything about my piercings( i have snake bites) but i told her that i would NOT wear them while working. she said ok we will see you march 30 at 9 am. i thought things were in order. my instructor then calls me tonight saying i cant do clinicals cause of my piercings and she dont know if she can place me anywhere. i was really confused since her and i talked about this at our quarter meeting and when she said the piercings may be a problem i said im not worried about cause if i take them out and use the right cover up foundation u cant hardly see where im pierced at. there is another student with the same piercings and she got into clinical sites and even at the pharmacy i was suppose to work at the tech had lip piercings but she didnt have them in. she wears it all the time outside of work. if the pharmacy didnt want me there cause of piercings they should of said something to me when i went down to talk to them( and when i talked to them i wore a dress suit and look professional) im going down tomorrow to talk to the pharmacy, again dressed up and WITHOUT piercings in, and make sure it wasnt a misunderstanding, them saying i cant wear peircings rather than i cant work there. and the instructor told me that the pharmacist called her the day after i went in to talk to the pharmacy manager, almost 3 weeks ago, but the instructor waits until the night--tonight-- before i start, and they call her and not me even when i left the pharmacy my home and cell #s. also having an issue with uniforms, because i didnt go to the class outing after final exams last quarter i didnt get my lab jacket, and before i left ,after exams were done, the instructor had announced that she would be mailing us our jackets. then find out from another student she handed em out at the restaurant.(2.5 weeks ago) then the instructor texts me on monday(yesterday) saying she has the jackets in her office to come get them, so i go to her office and had a note on her door saying she wouldnt be in this week. and tonight she texted saying if u dont have your lab jackets you can go to your site, not that it matters since i have no site to go to. she text other class members to go out to the restaurant to get their jackets but didnt text me or the other woman with piercings.
im so frustrated and pissed off, i busted my ass almost a year in pharm tech classes not to mention all the $ i paid toward my degree, and im 10 weeks till graduation, all i have left is my clinicals to do and the instructor is making it impossible to do that. after i talk to the pharmacy tomorrow im going to talk to the dean but not sure what to say or how to handle this... any advice please.....
srry kinda long

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• Contact your state's department of labor, and the EEOC

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Why didn't you take out the piercings in the first place? I did whenever I had job related meetings. Just curious. Have you contacted the pharmacy about the teacher texting you that they called her? I'm not saying she's a liar, but if I were you, I'd go in tomorrow like planned (unless there's something I'm missing..)
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i didnt take them out the first time cause i just had them pierced a couple of weeks before that, and i NEVER had problems with my other piercings when gettin jobs, i used to have my nose (septum) pierced and labert(cnter bottom lip). it got old so just leave it out. i used to work as a med aid, cna, and was a second shift supervisor at a drug rehab facility and none of those jobs had an issue when i came in for an app with piercings, or to the interview for that matter. i going down tomorrow anyways to figure this out. it would of been nice if someone toled me sooner about this... my piercings have nothing to do with my capabilities to preform a job, and i know not to wear them working for other reason other than appearance sake.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Unfortunately I'm not sure if you will have a case of "discrimination" here. Many companies have policies about tattoos or piercings. That's not discrimination but a part of the dress code. Discrimination would be the color of your skin, a handicap, or something that cannot be changed or covered up. Like bdflykisses said, your best bet would have been to take the piercings out beforehand so that there was no issue in the first place. I'd keep that in mind next time. As for now, maybe go in there again without your piercings and the holes covered up, and SHOW them that its not an issue. Maybe they'll change their mind?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• but seems hypocritical when the tech working has piercings and im not even sure they said i cant work there. i been a customer there for almost 10 years and i work with the pharmacist when i was a med aide so i know him on a personal/professional basis and i have many times through out the last year when i came in to get scripts that i hope to be place here. i would love the chance to work here even if it was just 5 weeks, and he would always say make sure your instructor knows...and supposedly this is the same pharmacist who said i cant do my clincals there..... why wait till the day after i come in to get a schedual to say something and not even to me directly...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2011