Would you switch jobs?

I have been with one company for over 9 years and there was a posting for the same job in another company. The hours would be better and it would be closer to home (less gas and travel time) but, I am nervous. I have senority at my current job and I would have to take a slight pay cut (I am the bread winner in the family) I don't know if I should apply or just let it go. I know that I may not get the job anyways but, I am really nervous that I will make the wrong decision and my family will pay for it in the end.

ps. The reason I want to leave is tired of the drama at work, drive time, gas, and working for a corporation where I have no say is really getting old.

debbiekc1975

Asked by debbiekc1975 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can apply for the job, just don't quit just yet though. That way if you don't get it you will still have a job. If it's closer to where you live, it will save you drive time and gas. It may be worth a little salary cut in the long run. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'd apply for it and see if you get an interview. Then take things from there.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• do a pro con list... and go ahead and get the interview u could always decline later if thats not what you really want. just follow that gut instinct.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Hard to say, but I agree about doing a pro/con list and see which might benefit you more.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Remember that a new job doesn't mean that you won't have drama. I've learned that every job comes with its own set of drama, and no matter what, you can't get away from it.

There are numerous intangible benefits of a job beyond a paycheck. I took a job that overall paid less because it provided me with flexibility and time to spend with my family. I wanted not only the career, but the family, too, and I have it. I could have taken a job that paid me significantly more, but the money wasn't worth never getting to spend time with my son or my husband, except on working vacations.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011