Subchorionic hemorrhage - aka placenta bleeding 9 weeks prego

I had a gush (literally a gush) of red blood this morning and then almost nothing the rest of the day. of course, i called my doc right away and i was scheduled for an ultrasound. Since my doctors office doesn't do ultrasounds on Tuesdays I had to go to another place. the doc there told me that I had a little bleeding around the placenta.

Im waiting for my doc to review the results and call me. In the meantime, im going nuts! Just wondering if anyone else has gone through it. what was the outcome? bedrest?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have had it in two out of four pregnancies. Both were fine. While bleeding, the doctor told me to take it easy, but there were no other restrictions. I did experience bleeding again in both pregnancies after the initial bleeding. The second bleeding was darker and was caused by the baby growing and pushing some of the old blood out of the uterus. It is a fairly common thing and is usually fine.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Actually SEVERAL of the women in my due date group have had this and their babies are just fine.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Don't be upset. It is normal, during the formation of the placenta (between 10 weeks and 14 weeks gestation) to have a slight bleed into the folds of the placenta while it is implanting into the uterus. This is called a "subchorionic bleed" and will not cause any harm to the baby or to you. It usually dissipates on its own within a few weeks. It is similar to when you lay shelving paper down on your shelves and sometimes get a fold in the paper. It is harmless. The repeat sonogram is merely to see how the bleed is resolving. Don't worry. This is very, very common.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I've had this to happen to me with my second pregnancy...I was pregnant with my daughter and had a gush of water that had blood mixed in...I didn't call my ob...I went to the er... I found out I was pregnant with twins and that the cause of having the water/blood gush was from my other baby passing...I did not know I was pregnant with twins...When I experienced the water/blood gush..I started thinking negative because I am thinking I just miscarried...Well I miscarried but had a baby to survive..I was so shocked when the dr in the er was doing the ultrasound and asking me has anyone talked to me about the possibility of twins... I was like no never!!! So that caused my subchronic hemorrhage! I have paperwork from the hospital and everything...My daughter is alive and well she will be 2 April 15...Unfortunately I did lose a baby that I didn't even know I was carrying...Just stay positive and stay strong!
    Myunbornlove

Answer by Myunbornlove at 12:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thx for the comments ladies.... I will be 12 weeks on Tuesday and so far so good.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011