Has anyone heard....

Has anyone heard of not perming your hair while your pregnant? DH grandmother is telling me not to. She says its not safe. I really need to do something with my hair! I don't have any help with my hair unless I pay someone to do it or do it myself which is not happening since I am 33 weeks and 2 days.. I can give myself a ponytail but I haven't permed my hair since August of 2010 so its really hard to manage! Please help! Advise is need...

Myunbornlove

Asked by Myunbornlove at 12:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I've heard that the change in your hormones messes with the chemicals and can do damage to your hair. Well more damage than is initially done anyways.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i was told it wasnt allowed - i was going to with my first and it was a no go not even hair dye..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I never permed my hair prego but i dyed it and straightened it(didnt know i was prego when i straightened it, kinda like a perm but no curls) and both my kids came out just fine and dandy!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 12:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would talk to your doctor.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• SODIUM THIOGLYCOLATE has been linked to birth defects in mice and is classified as a neurotoxin. But since you are well past the developmental stages of 1st/2nd trimester, its probably fine. Just don't leave it on any longer than necessary and stay in a well ventalated place while applying and processing.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I did it with my first I listened to my grandmother and by the 37th week I couldn't take it anymore. I permed my hair and nothing happened, this pregnancy I've been perming every 12 to 13 weeks like I've always have and no problems. It's an old wise tale, just like reaching over the head. Good luck I know the feeling!!!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 12:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thanks ladies!
    Myunbornlove

Comment by Myunbornlove (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was told not to
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2011