Any tips for starting a scrapbook?

I've never made one before and I want to start from scratch, basically (meaning none of the premade, special event ones, like those for weddings or graduation).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• well what would you want as a theme...? i would usually go from there & get like some different types of papers & other artsy items i am not sure if this has helped but i get a mix of the premade ones & then i just add some of my own personal touch)
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Michaels/Jo-anns/Hobby Lobby sales are your best friend! Get a decent pair of scissors, some cardstock, and what ever ribbons, glitter, stickers, buttons, etc catch your eye and let you mind run wild. You don't have to have a theme for a whole book though some may choose too. I really like the website scrapbook.com. I don't really shop there but their forums and galleries are a wealth of knowledge and ideas. Don't worry if your layouts (what a scrapbook page is called) doesn't lool like some of the amazingly intricate ones you see. Scrapbooking is all about learning different techniques and finding your own style.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 11:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I just started my first book this past weekend so im not very experienced. All i can say is wait until the craft store is having a 40 or 50% off sale because it gets super expensive fast. I went to the craft store and bought some cardstock, which is just plain colored paper and then a ton of decorative paper for different themes. I got all of the necessary tools too.
    Other than that, I just looked at a bunch of websites and got some ideas. After that i just sat down and got creative. I am doing one for my baby and each page has a theme. One page is of her and her sister, another is her at the ocean, on vacation, with the dogs, birthday, ect...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You need to contact Queenofscrap, this is her specialty. She's on my friends list if you'd like me to mention your name to her. Just let me know.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with pp, if you go without a plan, scrapbooking can be an expensive hobby. Michael's has prepackaged pages where you can arrange the elements as you wish and attach you photos and journaling. This is the way I would start, or have your pics in mind when you buy your stickers, letters, etc so you won't have 25 sheets of wedding stickers if you are only going to scrap 3 pages. hth
    chucks_mama

Answer by chucks_mama at 12:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Find a Creative Memories workshop in your area and go have some fun!
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Once you get into it even more, you should invest in a Cricut. It works wonders!
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011