Ive aken my 6 yr old to feeding clinics, he still has never ate anything cooked, fruits, meats,pot.bread....

what do i look for and can i jus take him to a new dr and start over....he only eats vanilla waffers, peanut butter, choc. milk w/ egg beaters added, crackers, dry cerael...etc.... i want a answer and i need one, his old ped. says exreme food disorder, i think he came up with that when i filled for disability to ge him some help, he was turned down twice, now were havin problems att school, speech, shy to adults....very different from my oher children.

RHONDAANN329

Asked by RHONDAANN329 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he is maintaining a reasonable weight and seems overall acceptable healthwise, I wouldn't worry about it. He might come around to eating cooked food or he might not, but if he's doing okay on his diet (even if it's strange) I would just go with it. I did not like the previous responder's answer who said stop giving him those things. That's absurd. My eldest boy lived on Milk with Milo in it for years because he didn't like other foods. Well, to be fair, he did have other things, but mostly lived on Milo. He's a fine healthy 20 yr old now, studying for a degree in Uni. As mothers we sometimes worry too much.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• What's the issue? The texture? The appearance? The taste? I would understand if it was some form of austism or aspberger's or something. But if it's just a matter of him not liking it, I'd say you need to stop giving into his wants. Don't give him those things all the time. If you make a decent lunch, expect him to try some of it. If he doesn't want to eat it, he can go hungry until the next meal (or snack time depending how you run your household). Dont let him fill up on the snacks at snack time to make up for what he lost at the last meal.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• How's the boy's weight?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• ok, ive been told that, weve tried that he went 1 wk with a few sips of water and a couple of crackers, got sick...so i worked for his pedit. i picked him up from daycare more than i dropped him off. afer sage 1 when 2 & 3 had texture he'd throw up i mean throw up! so he would play a my work cause the 24 hr throw up rule, well i billed ins. for dr. bennuri and he would say collin's fine...this went on almost 2 yrs. ok i quiet wk demand him to refer collin to childrens hospital in birmingham,al done alot of test, the speech thearpy lady said take collin to an ent... i did he was so tongue tied a dr. in tuscaloosa,al clipped it...still no eatin...no cornbread wih pea juice, no mashed pot. no fries no chicken fingers....i mean it beats all ive ever seen, im 41 i have a 20 yr old a 16 yr old a stepson 12 and 2 yrs ago i started psycho. thearpy with childrens, they wanted to sudy collin get a team together and reviewhim totally.
    RHONDAANN329

Comment by RHONDAANN329 (original poster) at 12:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• we went several imes, dad goes and says only the good lord is gonna help my son, nothing's changed i agree it's time to take him back and let them review his scores and watch him more, he's very smart, a memory like an elephant. just i though time would tell and yet nothing has changed and his dad now see's he really needs help.dr's say hey always have at least one thing they will eat cooked, not collin...he was a challange for them all and i guess he still will be.
    RHONDAANN329

Comment by RHONDAANN329 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• judimary, that's ok, you don't have to like anything I say :) With many kids it is a battle of wills. I never said never give them to him again....I said all the time. He needs to learn (assuming it's just a battle of wills and not a disorder) that if he doesn't choose to eat the meal put in front of him, then he will feel hungry later. What's wrong with that?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• @Renee3K, I totally understand what you're saying, and you're right, IF it's a battle of wills. But a lot of kids go through phases of very picky eating, and I think it's normal. Why create a battleground (as long as his weight is okay). To me, as mother of six, it's not worth fighting him over. Also, here's where I'm coming from, one of my kids is dangerously under-weight, and there is no way I would deny him food he wants just to make him eat what I want him to eat. ;)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• could he have a sensory issue? my son is picky and will on;y eat 3 or 4 foods and his sister who is in college to become a phycologist found out that kids who are picky have sensory issues and well we don't have insurance so I can't tell you if that if my son has it but you need to look into sensory issues and yes always look at others for help because you just do not know which DR's are nothing but highly paid know-nothings or if they are really good at what they do
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 12:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• IT STARTED OUT SENSORY, I HAD TO BRUSH HIS TEETH FOR 2 YRS AND STIMULATE HIS TONGUE. HE WOULD NOT GET HIS HANDS DIRTY, WE HAVE COME ALONG WAY, IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE IT BUT WE REALLY HAVE. HE IS ASHAMED AND SAYS ALL THE KIDS LOOK AT ME MOMA WHY CANT I EAT? I SAY COLLIN U DO EAT, TRY AND TAKE A BITE AND WE HAVE A SPIT OUT CUP THAT A THERAPIST RECOMMENED. HE NEVER MAKES IT TO JUST SPIT, HE THROWS UP, SO I AM GOING BACK TO CHILDRENS AND LET A TEAM STUDY HIM MORE AND I WILL UPDATE ALL THE INFORMATION I GET. AUTISM AND ASPERGERS?? WAS MENIONED SO I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR ANSWERS STILL. EVEN WHEN WE GO OUT TO EA RARELY HE LOOKS SO ASHAMED, PUTS HIS HEAD DOWN DOES NOT CRY HE JUST IS OLD ENOUGH TO SEE THAT HE DOES HAVE A PROBLEM AND HES DIFFERENT AND I DONT Have the answers id like to have. ty for all your comments
    RHONDAANN329

Comment by RHONDAANN329 (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• he weights 53lbs, always above average on ht. iron is always good h & h....i make sure he gets 3 milks a day, vitamins w/flor. and iron and he eats what he likes, mostly peanut buter with cereal and crackers... so i do all i can
    RHONDAANN329

Comment by RHONDAANN329 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2011