Can Mucinex be used for a head/sinus problem or just for coughing?

This is terrible! I have some Mucinex (original, expectorant) (so I assume it's just to help cough) My sinuses are stopped up and draining (slooooowly) Ugh. Miserable. Do you think mucinex will help with the sinuses even though I don't have a cough?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 12:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• It does help with nasal congestion. I have eustation tube dysfunction and my doctor would prescribe Guiafenesin which is the is the prescription Mucinex. Eustation tube dysfunction is where the tube between the ear and the nasal cavity clogs and doesn't drain, which can cause pain and bubbling in the ear. It also clears the sinuses by drying them out.

Make sure to drink plenty of water...like three times as much as normal. I will say that it doesn't make the symptoms better, but it shortens the duration of the cold.

feel better soon Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Mucinex is mainly for chest congestion, I really doubt it will help for head congestion. If you have sudafed or benyadryl those would greatly help. Hope you feel better.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'd say it's worth a try for a good night's sleep! Have you tried sitting in the bathroom with the shower on hot? Breathing in the steam can make a difference. Have a humidifier? Vapor rub?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would think it would help; it's supposed to help "break up" mucus, right?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'm about to go take a hot shower then I will try some vapor rub (its baby vapor rub, hope it works lol)..... gah. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It is supposed to break up mucous, but I think it only does it in the lungs so you can cough it out. That's why I asked, bc I don't know. lol. Thanks, Kathy675, me too.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• What you need is Sudafed, not the PE version.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I live on mucinex....it does help with any mucous issue.
    Watch out though, it works on the mucous "down there" too, and can actually help when ttc-----it thickens you up, so to speak, and makes your mucous more receptive to sperm getting to it's destination.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 1:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well I'm def. glad you told me that! lol! My body doesn't agree with birth control so we use the timing/ovulation and pull out methods. LOL. We def aren't planning another right now. I think I will give it another few days before I try the Mucinex, but it's good to know that it will help. Thanks!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011