Has anyone put there baby on milk before age 1?

Since this whole MELAMINE scare, I have decided I may want to switch my baby who is 4 months old from formula to organic milk or soy milk. Has anyone tried this? If you are going to put negative comments please do not answer. Thanks!

blueeyes71883

Asked by blueeyes71883 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thank you everyone for your answers. The main reason I was thinking about switching is because of the melamine and it is in all the major U.S. brands...Enfamil, Similac, and Nestle and many babies have come forward with kidney issues now due to it. Even though it is a trace amount the FDA is saying they aren't sure what it can do to a child 10 years from now..the child may have kidney issues then and even kidney failure. So this is why i want her off of the formula. I know 4 months is early but my mom said she was told by my pediatrician to put me on milk at 4 months and I did just fine...there was no issues about intestinal bleeding back then....the doctors are so afraid of lawsuits that you can't do anything nowadays. I will consult my doctor though next week to see what he says. Thanks to everyone who answered!!!!
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• well honestly i think 4 mos. is a little early. i tried milk on my daughter a couple months before she was a year old and it constipated her terribly now she is a year and they had to put her on lactose free milk. she is still a bit constipated but she just started it its not as bad as it was with whole milk so i think it is just her body getting used to it. but yes after the trouble i had please dont start so early.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Milk products, yes...not a cup of milk though. I know people who weened their baby's from breast milk to reg milk...but I wouldn't advise it. Some moms say that it's a myth that they can't have it because they are affraid you will supplement formula with milk, others say there is a protein in Milk that babies can't digest. I would stay on the safe side and avoid straight up milk. When you do start them on milk...make sure it's Vitamin D. They need the large amount of fat until a certain age.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i would check with a health professional first 4 months is a little young maybe .

loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I would consult my peditrician first and see if there is any other ways beside formula to feed the baby at that age.....But i did give my son whole milk at 10 1/2 months because i couldn't afford the formula anymore and he has been fine.. Good luck
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I didn't relise your baby was 4 months old. Stay away from milk products also until 6 or seven months. She'll get a bad bellyache!
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• 4 months is to young. You should wait tell he/she starts eating solid food before you do that.

Answer by louise2 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• There's nothing wrong with giving your baby whole milk at that age as long as you get the vitamin drops to put in. I couldn't take any kind of formula as a baby and my mom couldn't breastfeed so the doctor put me on Vitamin D with the drops and I was a chunky healthy baby.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Where do you get the vitamin drops? Is this recommended for all babies or just one that have an intolerance to formula?
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I thought the tainted baby formula was a Chinese kind only sold in import stores... Unless I missed another scare I would not worry about it. Milk doesn't have the same nutrients as formula. You baby needs these nutrients to grow. Formula has all the nutrition your baby needs for the day and milk has only about 4 vitamins and not near enough fat. vitamin drops are fine but you are still lacking in the DHA, fat and calorie count. I would really considers calling your Ped. You obviously want to make an informed decision and that would be the best way to get your information.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2008