Do you think over the years a woman looses herself and begins to think like her husband

for instance starts to forget about what she likes or dislikes and just goes with whatever he likes or dislikes... sort of like it is easier to adapt to his ways then to fight about your likes/wants/needs

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 12:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• Totally agree, i don't even think its years, its happens to me in a matter of months. Now being single i promised myself never to dot hat again. Everyone needs a sense of self and i have lost myself in relationships, i put my other partners needs before mine, help him with whatever he had to deal with before myself. Its hard but i learned to make time for me and accomplish my goals.
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 10:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You don't grow out of yourself, you grow together :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My husband & I have been married 28 yrs. and over the years you agree to disagree over likes and dislikes and accept & respect each other. Gone are the days of trying to please, we do please each other more now than ever before. I couldn't imagine myself with anyone else. Never “accept” to get along, respect your differences and things will work out great :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I hope not! My husband and I have been together for 13 years (married for 8) and we have lots of interests in common, but I wouldn't say that I defer to his tastes and likes just because it's easier. We actually play "paper, rock, scissors" to decide what to do when the issue is minor, and have lengthy discussions when the issue is major.

I think it's rather sad to think that women lose themselves this way. I think women lose themselves somewhat when we become mothers because we become so focused on our children and doing everything we can for them. And you may be right about the change with spouses. Perhaps that's why divorce rates are so high?
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I've been married for 20 years and I don't think I have taken on his beliefs or values or likes and dislikes, although we have certainly influenced each other. It may happen in some relationships, depending on the personality of the people involved.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it does happen after you have been together for years it kinda just becomes a habit that is actually funny was talking about this same thing with my mom the other day
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• no both my husband and i like different things and he likes who i am and how goofy i can be.... he may not like to dance but i love it and if it mean me dancing alone then so be it... you can never loose who you are.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think that can happen to men too...often times if one personality is stronger than the other the one with less of a sense of self can get lost...sad but true it happens in all kinds of relationships not just romantic ones
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 2:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• its possible i have really changed since i met my husband in terms of music i now listen to, the movies i watch......the list goes on and on
    linah12345

Answer by linah12345 at 3:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• YES!!!!! I really can't believe no one has done this. I definatly do this with my husband. We have been married for almost 6 years and together for 10 and I give in to him all the time. I don't cook dinners I like because they aren't his favorites but when he wants shrimp or any other seafood I always tell him I will cook it because I know he likes it. So yes it does happen. He does give in to me at times too but I think I do it for him more because sometimes it's just easier. I'm not saying I don't have an opinion or interests for myself but yes I have lost myself to my husband in some ways.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011