Did/Does your toddler use pacifier- how did you break them of the habbit?

My 19 mo is only allowed to have her pacie when she sleeps so she gets it at nap time and bedtime.... right now it's working ok but if she wakes up and doesnt have she is screaming for it. When did you toss the pacie and how did you do it?

dimpsedee34me

Asked by dimpsedee34me at 12:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son's the same-- we have several strategies...

just "forget" the pacifier-- it's worked on a couple of evenings, so we're stretching it out
    I've heard friends have funerals for their pacifier-- they have the little one throw it in the trash... no more paci-- my son actually doesn't think about it unless he sees it... so this might actually work
    another strategy is dip it in something that tastes awful-- i'm not sure I'll do this one, but i have heard it does work

good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My oldest had his until he was about 21 months. We took it away cold turkey. He cried the first night...he was fine the next :) The other kids didn't have them much.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• This is what we did we just stopped giving it to him at 6 months and he didnt show any signs of wanting we just cold turkey lol
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Both my kids were binky babies. We first did as you are doing and put it just for nap and night time. I didnt make them give it up totally until after they turned 2. Then it was a cold turkey deal. We threw them all away and that was that. Both of them had a few days of crying at bedtime then it stopped. I also had my niece for a weekend and weaned her from the binky because my sister wouldnt do it and kept giving in. All it took with her was 2 days. She cried a little and fussed but when she figured out she wasnt getting it then she stopped.
    It also helps to give a little pep talk and tell them that they are big now and dont need it. Some of my friends have actually had their children give their binky to a smaller baby and this helped with the transition also. Good Luck :)
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my son did he needed it to sleep... by the time he hit 18 months it was gone but it wasn't cause i just threw them away all thought one by one they were going in the trash but one day he took a nap and didn't want it in his mouth and i was like okay and by the time it was bed time it was trashed he didn't care to want it no more so i was pretty lucky with that... now it's getting rid of his sippy cup that is the hard part.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:11 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My son started to suck his finger and the binky were gone then now he doesnt suck on either
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Luckily my son never wanted a pacifier. :)
    Good luck to you though !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My oldest had his until he was 2, and then we just "lost" it one night - one night of crying and he never asked for it again. My 4th son just lost interest in his altogether around 20 months. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My daughter started when she was 16 months old, because I had her baby sister when she was 16 months ..My husband thought it would be cute to give it to her because my baby had one and Caitlin never took one. Took me until she was almost 3 to toss the pacifier.. In my experience ZI would toss it now and let her cry it out. Because I tried to only give it during naps and bedtime aand it never worked..So I would just toss it. She threw hers away and said I want to be a big girl and hasnt taken it since, but 3-5 nights later she was crying and asking for it and I never bought another one....Good Luck
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have heard of cutting the tip off the paci, it won't work like they like then tell them it is broken but they can still have it. It might work, I did not have this problem mine gave it up at 4 month much to my dismay.
    Good luck
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011