Holidays with parents seperated?

So I am new at dealing with the holidays now that the father of my son and I have seperated. Thanksgiving went well but I was wondering how christmas works as far as gifts go? Do we still get each other gifts for one another from our son? Anyone who has any advice about this I would really appreciate it because I have no idea how this works...

Cadens_Mommy118

Asked by Cadens_Mommy118 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• I agree with Louise2. Just because you guys aren't together anymore doesn't mean ya'll don't deserve gifts from your child...moreover, it doesn't mean your child shouldn't have the opportunity to buy gifts for their parents. It would be a miserable mothers/fathers day for you guys if the other parent didn't cooperate in helping the child celebrate.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We always take care of our own gifts. His mom gets his gift from our dd and my mom gets mine, but I would talk to him.
    KallaLilli

Answer by KallaLilli at 10:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• what my hubby does with the kids he no longer lives with is buy separatley from him and the mums get their own presents .It gets complicated when you start sharing gift buying .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Your EX should bring your son out shopping for a gift for you, from your son. You should bring your son out to shop for a gift for his DAD From your son..You 2 should not exchange gift from each other though.

Answer by louise2 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i think it should depend on you relationship. are you two able to be civil with each other? if so, then why not!? if yot two are not on good terms i would also suggest that you ask your son's grandparents to step in to help
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 10:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yes, his dad and I have been very civil lately and actually been able to carry on a conversation without wanting to seriously hurt one another lol. In the beginning completely different story but we've gotten much better, thank goodness because we will have a part of each other for the next 18 years.
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I think whether you get along or not a gift should be given from the child to each parent. The child, if old enough, should take part in choosing the gift for each.
    Brooklyn36

Answer by Brooklyn36 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008