Do you think this sounds like a positive result?

I took a pregnancy test (one of the six days early one) right away a very faint second line showed up. So I waited a couple days and took another test an it's negative. Is it possible I still am? I can't gauge from my period because I haven't had one since my DD was born 9 months ago since I'm breastfeeding and on the mini pill.

Yes, I know if I have sex I could be pregnant and that is not what I mean. I'm wanting to know if anyone has had a faint line and then a negative and still been pregnant. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hmm, I don't know. I'd wait a day and try again with a "first thing in the morning" pee, that's nicely concentrated.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• All tests have slightly varying sensitivities, even within the same box. It's possible the second was not as sensitive as the first. False positives are pretty rare. I would suggest waiting a full week, then testing again - by that time, if it really was a positive test, the line will definitely be much darker. If it's negative, the first test must have been an evap line or just a fluke. Good luck!
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It could have been an evaporation line, but depending on the time of day that you peed, and how far along you are, it could show up negative. Try again in the morning. Don't drink large amounts of water before testing, make your urine concentrated.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I thought about it being an evap line but it showed up almost instantly and it is there but light. But then the next test came out negative so I'm confused.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It's very easy to have varied test results during the early stages of pregnancy. It depends on which test you're using, what time of day you test, and how diluted your urine is. It's very possible to be pregnant and have a negative test result but highly unlikely to not be pregnant and have a positive result. If the line showed up right after you took the test then I wouldn't worry about an evaporation line. Also if you took the tests back to back, the 2nd test could have been negative because the 1st test you took had more concentrated hormone because that urine would have been sitting in your body longer. Wait 2 days and take another test. Your hormone level doubles every 2 days so you might have a clearer result.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 3:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• BTW I got pregnant on the pill when my son was 9 months old. It's very possible you're pregnant. I ended up having an early term miscarriage. Not to worry you though. I'm very prone to miscarriages. I've had 5 including that one.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 3:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'd try and test again just to be sure....could have been a bad test or maybe it was an early MC as court128 said.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011