Puppy

So my son and boyfriend talked me into getting a puppy. I was really worried about how it would go since we have a baby on the way and I really didn't want to be the one stuck caring for her and I don't like dogs so I wasn't looking forward to it. Well, my boyfriend works 10 hour days so I am left caring for her pretty much all day, and she has really grown on me. She is so cute and adorable and she clings to me more than she does my boyfriend. I actually enjoy playing and cuddling with her. I was worried about her potty training and stuff but she is so smart and has barely had any accidents. I have been really spoiling her, but now I worry about how she will feel when the baby gets here since he will be getting most of my attention. Did you have any pets when you had your baby and how did you still give them the attention they needed?

kayaiden8907

Asked by kayaiden8907 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Just start now on training.10 weeks all puppies are little lambs...at 5 months they can change drastically into jumping, lunging, mouthy wild little animals with a mind of their own. You need the house rules and the control, and the obedience in place before the age of 5 months.

Make sure:
    1. you can put your puppy away for periods of time even when you are home, your puppy is going to need some independence when the baby comes and you get busier.

2. your puppy learns how to drop things out of its mouth on command, or better yet not to pick up objects that aren't hers/his

3. that your puppy can come to you when you call him or her. This starts getting harder around 4 months, so get it in place now while it is easy!

Do not give stuffed animal toys, or toys that will mimic baby things if you don't want puppy running off with those things when the baby comes!

Carry a doll that cries and moves and reward pup frequentl
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We had two cats - one we had before I got pregnant, one my hubby found in a dumpster when I was about 6 months along. I didn't want to keep her, but didn't want her to die and couldn't get anyone else to take her. My cats were never particularly well behaved, and had incurable flea infestations even though they were on frontline, had flea baths, and never went outside. After having a baby, I couldn't deal with the cats jumping on stuff, breaking stuff, stealing food, using my books as a scratching post, and the fleas everywhere. My mom has a place out in the country and she had one outdoor cat, so I sent my cats to her place to be barn cats. Might seem cruel, but my baby and my sanity were more important than a couple mischievous kitties. That's just me though.

Now we have a dog, two years old. She'll be 3 when this baby comes. She's a very loving, well behaved dog. I don't foresee any problems when the baby comes.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I can understand that! I was worried about her being too much to deal with when the baby got here, but she is so well behaved and I think she will be great for the children in the future. I am guessing she is only about 10 weeks old. She is already sleeping in her crate at night and she never whines or barks. I'm mostly worried about her getting the atteniton she needs for me, I really love the bond I have with her so far and don't want to loose it :( I know the baby is waaaaay more important, it's just nice having that bond with her too and after the situation she came out of I feel bad if I don't give her as good of a life as possible...
    kayaiden8907

Comment by kayaiden8907 (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• As much attention as a baby needs, if you are going to be staying at home the puppy will still get plenty of attention. Maybe not quite as much as right now, but still enough. My dog is a total attention whore, but she's also not high strung or really needy. She will take as much love as you want to give her, but if you don't show signs of wanting to pay attention to her, she just lays around. Suits me quite well. Ours is also crate trained. This is invaluable training for a dog, good for you for crate training. just make sure your puppy has lots of chew toys and treats and is taken out on a regular basis. It's a good idea to have your hubby or other family member bring home something with your baby's smell on it (like the little hats they put on a baby when he/she is born) to let the dog sniff, so she has some idea of what is going on. Also try to make sure nursery furniture gets set up and let your dog get used to it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Congrats on the puppy and baby!!!! It will be fine!!!! Pups that grow up with kids r very good guard dogs. Don't worry it will all work out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• before the baby comes, put items around the house like diapers and baby powder and pretty much anything that smells like a baby. Allow her to sniff the items, maybe lick it but if he tries to play with or bite it, remove her. She will associate the scent with respect and you shouldn't have to worry about her being too rough with the baby. And babies sleep a lot so when she is sleeping you can spend time focusing on puppy. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011