What can i do to help my son put on weight

I am a mother of 4 years old boy.Pls i need advice on wat to give him to put on his weight and grow faster.

temluv

Asked by temluv at 6:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would just let him be. Unless the doctor says he really needs to put on weight I would not worry. If he is developmentally where he needs to be then he is more than likely fine. My son was very small for his age at this age and when he hit 4 he fell off the chart. I know some of the things you can give him are ice cream, peanut butter, and things that you might stay away from if you were on a diet. I am not saying give him McDonald's every day, just things that have a little higher fat contact like the ice cream.

Anyway good luck and I would check with the doctor before you try to get him to gain weight.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• youcould alwys try to pediatric shakes, they are good for them, pharmacies sell them, pretty sure walmart would have them too, walgreens has its own brand
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 6:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Kid Essentials, or Carnation Breakfast drinks are full of vitamins, minerals, and calories that are good for children. And they taste like chocolate milk, so kids will drink them usually without complaint (They do have other flavors). My son's 3, and last year, he was in the 12th percentile, and the doctors (and my father in law) hounded me about him being underweight. He's active, and smart, and I was tiny until I started college, so I wasn't worried. As long as he ate something every day, I wouldn't stress.

I know hotdogs and salad with italian dressing was what put the weight on me in college...I gained 15lbs and I ate that two meals a day every day for a year.

My son loves turkey sandwiches, and he plumped up a little after he started eating those. He's in the 50th percentile now. (And still no one's happy, but he's been tested for Celiacs disease, and his iron level's normal.)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Unless the dr is worried, there's no reason to "fatten him up" Some kids are just programmed to be smaller. My 11 yo was always in the 3-5% for weight and around the 50% for height. He eat tons of food - he's just a skinny kid. The dr sent us to a nutritionist and after looking at his diet and quantities of food, she said he was fine, just skinny. At his last drs appointment he's finally up to the 10% for weight - but the upside is he can do more pullups than any other kid in 5th grade!

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Why does he have to put on weight? As long as he eats healthy and gets plenty of exercise and is still gaining weight on his own growth curve then why force him to gain weight?
    Some kids are just small. At 4 my oldest daughter weighed like 30lbs. She's almost 11 now and weighs a whopping 50lbs with her clothes and shoes on. I'm tired of people telling me she is too skinny and underweight. She eats healthy (for the most part). I refuse to force high fat crap down her throat just because she doesn't fit on some arbitrary chart. According to the charts she isn't even on them any more (under the 3rd percentile) but she's also short. She is the same size as her 8yo sister who is considered healthy for her age and size which is just stupid. Just because my other dd is 10 she isn't healthy at this size. Moronic.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011