Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can welfare help me with going back to college?

I am 40 years old and my husband is fully disabled,but his income is not enough to support our family. I want to go to a trade school and take nursing, but I need help financially, so I can take care of my family too, but most of all can I receive a medical card to help me with my prescriptions and some health problems. I receive benefits now because I an unemployed so my medical card is very important and now can you see why I need a career that I can improve me and especially my family have a way better life and to get off of welfare for good, so that other people in need might be able to get help and maybe eventually do what I want to do by furthering their education. I hope you can help answer my question. Thanks so much, and I will really appreciate your help. Sincerely, College Mom

Answer Question

Asked by CollegeMom007 at 6:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I don't know if welfare would, but the colleges would. I'm a single mom, I lost my job and get no support, and I started online college a month ago. There are student loans and grants they could check into. I attend Ashford university, they are one of the cheapest and they are very helpful, you could always check, you dont know until you ask. Good luck

    Answer by joanie70 at 6:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid. That is the only way I know about getting financial aid for college. As for your other questions, sorry don't know:(

    Answer by shanlaree at 7:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • You probably qualify for a list of different grants. Check with any local college to get started.

    Answer by meooma at 7:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • going to college sounds like a great idea and with welfare it depends on what you go for say you go for nursing then yes you go get fasfa and then student grants and loans if you need it you will still be eligable for the medicaid and the food stamps but my understanding is say you go to cosmotoligy school then they wont help as much check with your local and see what they say

    Answer by halo4 at 7:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • First off RN is not a trade school, you have to have your core classes and be accepted(4 years min total in college fulltime) CNA you could do as a trade... Or Phlebotomy or even EMT in 6 months. Talk to the school first and see what scholarships they offer. Plus with FAFSA you have to be enrolled before you get your answer and I'm not sure how those grants work for trade schools or certificate classes. Just do some research and don't be afraid actually talk to the schools, their financial department can offer you WORLD'S of help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • anon above probably forgot that LVNs are considered a vocational course or trade school which is a 9 month-1year course. first step would be to contact a school & ask what your options are. it's their job to know how their students will pay for college, so they'll have your answers. i'm not sure how welfare could help, but here in CA, i was told GAIN will cover expenses for books, but i never looked into it so i'm not sure. contact your worker to see what is available to you. good luck.

    Answer by rAbella at 8:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • You CAN do an RN at SOME technical colleges, depending on the state. There are 2 year programs where you get an RN degree. My friend just finished hers and took her state test to be an RN.

    In some states, the PA office has programs available to help you with schooling. I am in Wisconsin and was approved for 2 years of school plus books through the WIA funding. I am in the Dislocated Worker Program. Funds are limited and the only way to know is to ASK.

    Also, here are 2 sites to apply for grants and scholarships and most do NOT need the FAFSA to qualify.

    Good luck and best wishes!!!

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.