Does your school have mom cliques?

I am just wondering if you think so? I know we have a group of moms that all hang out and I never put much thought into it. A couple of the other moms I have caught talking dirt about "mom cliques". I guess I dont see it that? We just all hang out because our kids play the same sports and are the same age, or are in the same class.

Asked by gemgem at 8:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The moms do, the dads don't. You see it the most after school with all the parents waiting to pick up kids. There's the ladies who lunch, the PTO moms, the stadium church moms, and the grandmas. It's also segregated, the Muslim moms and the hispanic moms stick to their own little groups, too. The men all bunch up off to one side. When a mom is there to pick someone up, she always stays in her group, but when it's the dad's turn, they all stay in the dad group, no matter which one their wife is in. Looks a lot like a high school lunch room.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think there are cliques everywhere. I don't belong to any at all and I'm never invited to join...hmmm wonder what that says about me?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• we have them... and it's truly like high school.... they don't have a nice thing to say about anyone else, if your child doesn't "look, act, or talk" a certain way, their kids aren't allowed to talk to them, and they are truly okay with their kids making fun of others....I personally teach my children to talk to everyone, be nice to everyone, and not to be nasty....so it's hard for me to comprehend teaching your child that you are better than someone because their pants didn't cost $40.00. I am most definitely talking 5th grade and down... some of the mothers in the older grades are happy to be out away from the cliques in elementary...they turned me off from wanting to do anything for or with the PTO, taking my kids to activities thrown by them or anything in general that are to do with them....it's truly sad how many parents want to be a part of the school but turn away because they have to deal with cliques.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Nope, not that I can tell. We have (at least in my kids classrooms) very very very few moms that even hang around and none of us are friends.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yeah there are def mom cliques at our school. The moms i hang out with would be likened to the bad girls of school lol, then you have the PTA moms and tbh the ones at our school are snots, they hold their noses in the air about everything & anything, they are also a bunch of one uppers i cant stand it.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• lol meoma! I dont remember being invited myself, I just talk to everyone.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Really? I havent noticed. We have dads who hang out with us too.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Exactly kw, My kids wear all the name brand stuff etc BUT most of there friends do not, my oldest boy is in hte popular crowd my youngest isnt. But they are both friends with anyone, its the parents who throw a wrench in the whole system. " you cant hang out with so & so their dad's a coal miner ( my kids) or dont talk to that kid his father was in jail for a DUI" i mean its stupid. But i like my clique, were friendly to everyone lol.( cept the pta moms haha)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thats terrible. I cant imagine anyone saying that to their kids. Were in a small town and have a high unemployment rate, so clothes and all of that dont really matter around here.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh yea, there is definitely mom cliques at my sons school. They are not as bad as some i have seen but they are still there.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2011