How Can I Help Myself? Any Ideas?

I'm going to try my best to keep this short....
I don't have the best health coverage. I have been to 2 different health care providers, and all they want to do is give me antidepressants or send me somewhere else. I don't feel "Depressed", just a bit stressed with everyday life. I mean what mother of a 2 year old isn't stressed, right? lol
I have problems sleeping and horrible lower back pain but that's about it. Yes, I think too much and I do worry over some things, but I have really improved since my first trip to the doctor last summer. I refuse to take any other antidepressants because of how they made me feel. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter....I don't want to walk around like a zombie. Over the past few years I have come to realize that most medications I am prescribed rather it be for pain, contraceptives or anxiety, do not work well with me. I guess I'm not meant to take meds...lol
So I was wondering are there any suggestions of things I could do to help myself destress, to not be anxious, and to sleep better? I've just about given up on my back pain cause I can't find a doctor that cares enough to really check it :(
I'm tired of getting the run around from these healthcare providers....I'm tired of getting sent somewhere else where I'm just a number, tired of always getting prescribed pills. Please give me some ideas. Thanks so much. :)

OfTheRose88

Asked by OfTheRose88 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• Hi, I've been where you are. Basically, I tell myself that it's all in my head. I tried to tell myself every day that getting stressed over bills, how much washing up I do a day, ETC isn't helping me. I made myself face things, and see them for what they really are. Bills will get paid. No one will scream at me if I don't wash up everything this minute, ETC. I've tried to 'reprogram' my mind to see the happy side of life. My partner has been my role model for this. He doesn't let life get to him. He enjoys the good bits, ignores all the bad stuff, or deals with it if it can be dealt with. The main reason I decided to do this was that meds never worked for me either. I have terrible back pain, sciatica, which won't go away no matter how many things I've tried, though ignoring it if it's so-so works for me, and having a hot bath if it gets too bad. Having someone to talk to about how I feel always helps me. :o)

LaraHappyMummy

Answer by LaraHappyMummy at 8:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I feel your frustration on this. IMO doctors are too quick to say "How's your anxiety level?", "Are you under additional stress at home?", "How often do you feel depressed?"...these questions make my blood pressure rise. Do you think they could FIRST try to find out what could be wrong with me/you before assuming we are depressed and prescribing medication for that. Sorry...I don't have an answer wish I did. Don't give up on seeking medical help and advice from other doctors. I watch Mystery Diagnosis so I know sometimes things take years to properly diagnose.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I excersise to destress. If I don't run everyday I go nuts, lol. Yoga is great too. Sometimes I do it after a really really hard work out. The workout helps me release any stress and tense on and the yoga leaves me feeling calm.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• For the back pain, I have found that sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees relieves some of the stress on my lower back. Oh, and Tiger balm (you can find it at most department stores/pharmacies) can also help. As far as the stress/anxiety goes, it does help to talk to a professional, even if you don't take their meds. Also, try some chamomile tea just before bed, that sometimes helps me get to sleep faster, although I am usually so tired from keeping up with my 2 year old I don't have too much trouble with that. Lavender scented room sprays, etc. are very calming scents, I have tried those and if the day hasn't been too stressful that helps, too. Also, exercise can relieve a lot of stress, put you child in a stroller or go to the park or mall and walk. I hope you find some relief and if you need anyone to talk to, just send me a message anytime. God bless you.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Have you honestly tried an anti axiety med - I mean stayed on it for more then 3-4 months?? Try going to a therapist if your doc thinks it's anxiety/depression. My DH was having the worst insomnia & his doc was giving him ambien. I sent him back and asked that the doc look for a cause. He's Doc sent him to a therapist who agreed with his doc that it might be anxiety. But he said the same... "I don't feel anxious or stressed". Well, long story short doc put him on Lexapro & now he sleeps like a baby no side effects!! Docs can only do so much and then you have to meet them half way.

What are you doning for your back?? Is it low back pain? Does the pain radiate down your legs? Are you wearing good shoes with good arch support? Have you tried PT? Have you tried to do some some core strengthening?? This can relieve a lot of back pain it it's not disc related. But like anything it's not a immediate cure... it takes time.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my cure-all for back pain is orgasm! get a good vibratator. its like morphine
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thanks for all the helpful answers.
    @Crafty26--yes, I have been on meds for more than a couple of months, but the doctor kept changing it up. I don't like the way any of them make me feel. I didn't feel any better at all. Besides, I want to help myself get better, not have to rely on pills.

I just get tired of trying to get pills shoved down my throat by doctors. "Oh, you're not sleeping? Well, time to go to the loony bin and take a shitload of pills you really can't afford" LOL
    OfTheRose88

Comment by OfTheRose88 (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I want to help myself get better, not have to rely on pills. - sometimes it's not that easy ;o(
    Have you tried counseling then?? That can make a huge difference in getting the correct diagnosis - which leeds to the correct treatment, meds or not!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The mere fact that you think having to take pills for anxiety means you go to the "loony bin" says that you don't understand the condition. You need to research anxiety and depression to understand what is being treated, and why it is treated that way. Most people who suffer from depression are in denial about it, that is why they do not get the help they need until the condition becomes sever.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Make sure you're getting enough of the B vitamins; many times, that alone is enough to deal with depression symptoms. For sleep, you can try supplementing with magnesium. For the back pain, I'd visit a chiropractor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2011