Have you seen the Breastfeeding Dolls? What do you think?

Have you seen these dolls? What do you think? Would you buy one for your daughter?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537261,00.html

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 8:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I saw them months ago. And I love them! The only thing I find upsetting is the amount of MOTHERS who are against them. Children who are raised with the idea that breastfeeding is normal and natural are more likely to breastfeed their own children later in life and less likely to be turned off by it. My generation was all given dolls with bottles and our mothers were told breastfeeding was disgusting and something to be hidden or even skipped altogether. Now, we know better, but there are WAY to many new mothers who don't even attempt to nurse because it's "gross" and they instead give their babies formula. I honestly believe that had they been raised with the idea of nursing being a normal day to day way to care for a child they would be less likely to run from the idea now. The only difference I see between this doll and one with a bottle is that babies aren't meant to come with bottles, they are meant to have a breast!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think they are stupid as hell. Toy makers are hard up for ideas these days
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Between these dolls, high heels and those bikinis I wonder what's next!
    seriously I don't really see the point. If a little girl or boy wants to pretend to breastfeed a doll she/he already has-fine but to make one FOR that purpose seems rediculous to me
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• *I don't mean HIGH heels- but heels at all really...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it's dumb just personally. If my five year old wants to "breastfeed" her doll, she can hold it up to her chest and pretend. I think it will be much more beneficial for her to see my nursing her brother than for her to have some creepy doll, just personally. And interestingly enough, I grew up giving my baby dolls bottles and then went on to breastfeed my children.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I breastfed both my kids and most of my friends breastfeed, but I am against these dolls. Hearing about or seeing mom's nurse is different than having a child pretend to do something that is not age appropriate. No breastfeeding, talking or peeing dolls in this household.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 9:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't think it's any worse than a baby doll who comes with a bottle (ie. almost all of them!) That being said, I do think it's a gimmick because my kids pretended to breastfeed stuffed animals, Transformers, other dolls- it's not as if they need a doll made expressly for that purpose.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it's silly to market a doll specifically for nursing. My DD nurses the dolls she has.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011