Frontline or Advantage for cats?

Which do you prefer & why? Do you buy them online or at the vet?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 8:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pets

• I have 7 cats and four dogs. I don't use either. I use a combination of borax and DE in the yard, and once a week I dust the floor with borax during flea season (which is really year round in SC, but worse from Apr - Oct). I've never seen a tick on them, and very few fleas.

My cats have an indoor/outdoor room that they can access through a window. It is open (screened) around the top, has a roof and a partial wall, etc., but they are sort of in/out ~ just protected. The dogs are in and out when they feel like it. I live in the woods, surrounded by fields and trees and other 'woodsy' things. I know there are fleas and ticks out there (and everyone in the area has dogs/cats as well), but I haven't had much of a problem with them. Borax and DE are relatively/not harmless to the animals (I don't leave the borax), but deadly to bugs. The plus for me is I don't have spiders in my teeny shed house ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have never been a fan of Frontline. It takes 36 hours for it to kill ticks once the tick has latched on and it does not work that well for fleas. I applied Frontline to my cats three weeks ago because that is all my new vets sells and I was still seeing live fleas a week later. I prefer using Advantage or revolution. I will not buy it from the places online becuse you just do not know where it is coming from. They do not buy it from the companies that make the products.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I use Vectra for my cats, it kills fleas in 15 minutes. Frontline here the fleas have become immune to and it doesn't work well. You get Vectra from a vet but it costs almost half the price as Frontline. Be careful that your vet gives you vectra for cats, as the vectra for dogs is very dangerous to them. It is messy though and will run, the only disadvantage.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We've always used Frontline and have never had any problems with it. We were getting it frmo the vet but now you can buy it at PetCo, and PetSmart.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Neither. I use Palmarosa Oil on our 3 dogs and cat. Smells like a garden at first, but it is working. We live in a highly wooded area and tick season has begun already. I put the oil directly on the collar and have a spray bottle for weekly refreshing. We don't have fleas either. Additionally, I don't have to protect my hands from the oil. You can get it online or at health stores.
    There are also Shoo! Tags that are species and pest specific. www.shootag.com A bit pricier, but they last 4months. Haven't tried them yet (mosquitos still dormant here).
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• frontline, we bought at an animal supply store
    miranda2011

Answer by miranda2011 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I use to work with an animal shelter and we would Advantage all the cats and dogs that came in. Honestly the stuff worked great and wasn't as potent to the animal as most other brands seemed to be.
    RayneStorm3

Answer by RayneStorm3 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011