This is cool but is it worth the money?

NASA released an image of the planet Mercury on Tuesday, the first obtained from a spacecraft orbiting the solar system's innermost planet.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/29/first-image-of-mercury-from-orbit-released/?hpt=C1

I mean...if we're cutting things like funding for arts & humanities, public boradcasting, public employees wages & benefits, literacy programs for poor children, W.I.C....do we really have any business floating around the solar system taking pictures?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 8:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its worth the money.

Answer by gemgem at 8:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• NASA is the ONLY program in all of government that actually generates an income. All that floating around the solar system taking pictures is done on the back of tech development which was also licensed into the private sector and brought money in. Cut NASA and you cut the only non-tax income to speak of.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think NASA is awesome & should be funded.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yes, space exploration is one of the most vital areas of the unknown. So many answers could come from space
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• NASA is the only program the Gov has its hand in that generates income. Every dollar spent by taxpayers on NASA earns 7-8 dollars. So much of our technology we have today that has saved lives and made lives easier comes from NASA research.  To make cuts would be extremely stupid. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think on the surface it may seem trivial, but as pp's have said...NASA brings in the cash! Besides that..space is all we have left and the US must lead its exploration. I fully support funding for NASA.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• On a Balance Sheet...spreadsheet....accounting ....DOes the NASA income offset the COST of these space projects? I think not. We need some input from authentically informed individuals and you know they don't post at Cafe Mom....so......
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

LOL The great minnesotamean thinks she knows it all.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

>>>>>
    Oh speak for yourself LOL. I'm as authentic as you get
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• So much of what we have in the way of technology, including many of our medical advances, has come from NASA. As NP points out every time this subject comes up (and she should!), NASA is the one thing our gov't. does that generates a profit. If anything, we should double the amount we spend there instead of talking about cutting that funding.

OP, feeding the arts and humanities, public servants, tv *which imo should be illegal!*, and programs for the poor are all things that drain the budget. The things we need to cut are the things that generate a negative balance. We should be cutting and streamlining and getting rid of a great many federal/state employees who, while employed, aren't serving any useful purpose. We should be cutting every program that isn't essential, purely esthetic, or feel good/cost much,
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2011