How can I get my 8 month old baby on sleep schedule?

HELP

staciepi

Asked by staciepi at 8:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From what I've heard is that you put the baby down at the same time every night, get them up same time every am. Also letting babies fall asleep on their own, without being rocked helps
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I just paid attention to his signs and found the schedule he needs and worked with it, You have to be sure you are on the babys schedule not the baby on your schedule, because that won't work. My son is 10mths and the day works great except still struggling with bedtime most nights. Ever since he was 6mths or so, he gets up around 7 is up for an hour and a half to 2 hours and then goes for a nap, then he sleeps from an hour to 2 hours and then is up 2 and a half to 3 hours and back for nap. After his first nap, he is usually tired every 3 hours or so. I wrote down his sleep times for a week then tried to pay attention to when he needed to go to bed and wrote what worked and what didnt. You can't get the baby up and go to bed same time every night, that is not realistic, but you can keep it close depending on their sleep times. I never put him to bed with a bottle r let him fall asleep in my arms, Good luck.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I always woke mine up at the same time everyday, when everyone else was getting up to start the day. After that, it's a matter of watching them and seeing when they get tired so you can gauge when they needs naps - every baby needs a different amount of sleep. But if you wake them up at the same time and put them to bed at the same time every night then you should see a sleeping (and feeding) pattern emerge as well. I am also a big believer in letting them fall asleep by themselves, but I did it since birth so it was never a traumatic crying experience for them, it was just what they were used to.

Answer by missanc at 10:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You can't . . . you can . . . sort of!! :)

You can begin to establish a routine. But for the first couple of years your little one is going to go through stages of sleeping/not sleeping through the night. Of not being tired at the regular time, giving up naps which mess up the schedule, or taking extra naps.

Start a routine - rock, cuddle, books, bath, brush teeth, bottle/nurse, etc. Keep the lights dim. Put the baby down for bed.

I don't let my babies cry - too much. They may fuss as they are falling asleep, or I may be in the bathroom when they start screaming, but I generally go to them, calm them down, rock/nurse some more, put them back to bed. Eventually they figure out falling to sleep on their own. And when they are about 3 years old and you realize bedtime isn't stressful, they are sleeping through the night, you realize you have suceeded!! FINALLY!! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh, I have a 5, almost 4, 2, and 1 year old. THey all go to bed at 7 p.m. and are asleep by 7:30 or 8 a.m. The 1 year old is up at 5 a.m., nurses, and goes back to sleep. That is new - only last week he was up several times at night to nurse. But he goes to bed very well!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Set a routine. Observe HIS sleepy times. It's a lot easier when you work with his circadian clock.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2011