What is the best to do for an earache?

I have had an earache for about 4 to 5 days now and it won't go away. I have tried Advil and Tylenol. I have tried warm compresses, hot showers and olive oil in the ear. I don't want to go to the doctor for something minor like this but it is really aggrevating me. Any suggestions? I have seasonal allergies and I am already taking an allergy med and a decongestant, so, obviously those aren't helping if it is allergy related. Any ideas, old time remedies???

Kelly502

Asked by Kelly502 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• if you've had it for 4 to 5 days now it's going to take time for it to go away. even if you go to the doctor now it's going to take time. i had a ear infection for 2 weeks before and i still have my hearing. and my infection was so bad i felt like i had the flu.

just because you try the oils don't mean that it's going to go away any faster. everything takes time.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would say if it's been more than a couple of days-and it won't go away and nothing seems to help much- you should see the doctor
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my in laws use sweet oil. i use garlic oil. i had a woman i worked with once tell me that if someone smoked have them blow smoke in the ear. breast milk also helps, and last but something i wouldn't do unless had to is urine.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I always turn to my late grandma's secret cure remedies. I warm up some mineral oil, and place a few drops in my ear, and place a piece of cotton in it. Works everytime, but it's totally up to you.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Wow, now I am really concerned, I guess I will try the heating pad and the oils today and if it is still hurting I will go to the doctor. I sure don't want to lose my hearing or anything like that, I never thought of that. Thanks for the answers ladies.
    Kelly502

Comment by Kelly502 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thank you all for your great advice, I appreciate each of them. I hope I can get some relief soon.
    Kelly502

Comment by Kelly502 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• after 4-5 days it's time to see the doc... obviously hearing loss is worst case scenario, but some infections just aren't going away with out help. Untreated infections of any kind can cause other health issues. Better safe then sorry if it's been this long. Just b/c you go to the doc doesn't mean you NEED an antibiotic, but at least they can look in your ear an see what the deal is.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Sweet Oil helps and heating pads. You might want to go to a doc, an ear infection can lead other infections in the body that require surgery and hearing loss. Granted those are extreme cases, but can happen none the less
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2011