Do you remember the day Reagan was shot?

What was it like?

I wasn't quite born yet but it must have been scary.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• nope i don't remember. was i even a live them.... i know he was president when i was born that's all i know.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It all happened so fast, live on the news. It took several minutes to realize what was going on. It wasn't half as scary as 9/11 was. I believe you can get the video's of it on You Tube, or the new's feeds.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh yeah...I've watched the video before. I saw this documentary on the history channel a few years ago that was about the SS who were protecting him. They detailed this one portion of the video in slow motion where you can see one agent working against the natural reaction of his body to jerk away...it was pretty amazing.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I vaguely remember. I was 9 (almost 10) and had just lost my grandpa so I was some what aware of what death was. I remember the teachers telling us to pray for him. Mind you this was a pretty Democratic area I was being raised in, so the atmosphere back then was so much different then what I see today. He was our President and we had to pray for him to get well, even if we did not like him (so said the teachers & priests from church. I remember alot of kids snickering & not really understanding what was going on though. We were all so young.

Answer by gemgem at 9:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I remember when it happened, I was 14. I remember thinking WOW the guy got shot & he's still going strong! Real admiration all around. That's when people had respect and confidence in their President & were happy& proud to be an American & the rest of the world feared & respected us. It was just the opposite of today.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• They didn't say anything to us at school, so he was already at the hospital for a few hours once I saw the news. It was a giant mess, and one minute you'd hear he was dead, the next that he was being treated. Nobody was on the same page. It wasn't scary, just sad. They knew who did it, and he was tackled on the spot, so it wasn't like there was some unknown group or an attack waiting to happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I had just come in from school. I think I was a senior in high school. It was pretty incredible. Especially the footage. I don't recall fearing that he was going to die. I think the immediate nature of news was first realized during this event I do remember that the news interrupted General Hospital

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I barely remember coming home from school and mom talking on the phone about the shooting.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't remember.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was 3 weeks from being born ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2011