Im interested in going to school online.. Any suggestions or advice?

Crissy9832

Asked by Crissy9832 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would stay away from For Profit schools. There are plenty of state colleges and universities that offer online programs at a fraction of the cost that For Profit schools charge. What do you want to go to school for?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Be sure to check them out before joining to make sure they are legit. My SIL did that, spent $1200 and couldn't get credit. A lot of scams out there.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Im wanting to go for Physical Therapist Assistant and saw Penn Foster has a program, so Im just looking into it. Im just scared to pay them and it not be legit...
    Crissy9832

Comment by Crissy9832 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would not suggest Penn Foster at all. If you go through them and decide to further your education later, none of your credits will transfer. You will have to retake them all. Let me look around and see if I can find that program online somewhere else.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Okay. Thanks a bunch!!
    Crissy9832

Comment by Crissy9832 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Question- Would you be able to take any classes on campus? You could take your core classes online. The problem with Physically Therapy Assistant and other medical jobs is that they are hands on, so to get a quality education and to be able to get hired, you truly do need that hands on experience.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh..Really? Im looking into all possibilites as of right now. So it could be possible...
    Crissy9832

Comment by Crissy9832 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Physical Therapist Assistant courses in Louisiana. I donot think they have them.. I did some research...It would be possible for me to go on campus..
    Crissy9832

Comment by Crissy9832 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Do you live near one of these colleges- http://www.bpcc.edu/pta/index.html or www.dcc.edu

If not, then let me know the area that you live in so that I can find a program.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Like another post wrote avoid all for Profit schools. My husbands company gives all potential executive candidates a skills test before they can be interviewed for a position. He said a University of Phoenix grad has never passed the test. He said only two from a for profit school have actually passed but it was barely so they were not interviewed. He is home now and told me to tell you to go to a local college in your community and take their online classes. It will cost you less in the long run and you will receive an actual education.

I am sure many for profit grads will vote this down.lol

Anonymous