Alternative "Feminine" Products Taught In Schools?

Most schools do at least SOME education for girls about their cycle and what to do about it. When I was a kid there was a video and a "starter kit" that was just for girls around 4th or 5th grade. The "starter kit" came with tampons & pads as well as some information books and coupons. But it took me til I was nearly 30 to discover alternatives like cups and cloth pads.

For the schools which still have these classes do you think alternative methods should at the very least be mentioned if not explored in addition to regular pads and tampons?

I will be teaching my daughter never to use disposables, but I am sure there are LOTS of moms out there who still don't know this stuff is out there. But it's healthier and there is less waste. So I figure giving the young girls this information is not just sharing it with them, but also with their mothers, many of who could use it.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I remember that class! Our kits had deodorant too, lol. I don't see anything wrong with them also talking about the other methods available.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Sure, it should be discussed because it makes the young women an educated consumer. Although I have to disagree about teaching my child to never use disposables. Menstrual cups might not work for her. I'll allow her to make her own decision regarding her body.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• There are other natural options if cups don't work... Cloth, sponges... We are a toxin free home. Disposables are toxic, it's that simple. She has every right in the world to choose between healthy options, but I don't think I would be a good parent if I let her use toxic products... It's no different than making sure you're kids toys are lead free. When she's an adult, she can go right ahead and use disposables. But knowing what I know about them, I just can't bring myself to allow them in my home.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it's a great thing that needs to be brought up! Talk to your daughter's school administration and see if they would be open to the idea. It's likely they haven't even thought of it and are just going by the book.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I wish I had those classes, I had no clue when I got my period. I thought I was dying, very sad for me.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It's a few years before my daughter is in school. But I plan on speaking to the administration before the next school year. Whether it's my child or not I feel it's important for these girls to have all the options - and for their moms to have it as well.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i the 5th grade our school talked to us about pads, tampons and condoms. really hated that time i had to go to them classes.

since they are going to talk to my kids anyways. i really think they should enter all opinions in the discussion (cloth pads, diva cup, and even NFP if they want to talk birth control). because not all families agree with what they talk to our kids about.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

Thankfully we had them. Because our mother just assumed the school would cover it and didn't. But my Great Aunt was like you, she thought she was dying. She went to bed and said her rosary because she thought God was punishing her for something...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No, it's completely different than not allowing toys with lead paint. There are natural tampons that do not use the same toxins that you're speaking of. You're not allowing your almost-adult to make decisions regarding her own health and well-being.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Why not tell them about all the options, If I remember right, we did get little kits- but it ony had a pad -no tampon. *this was about 30- 32 yrs ago or so for me though
    GOOD GRIEF I feel old now... aaaaanyhow...

My mom never told me about tampons really- I remember being 12 or 13 and having my period and being told I could not swim until it was over. It SUCKED seeing all my cousins and my sister swim at my grandma's house while I got to stand in the kitchen and watch from the window. I don't think I touched a tampon until I was 16 or 17 at least-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2011