Should I just charge for materials or labor as well?

A friend of mine wants me to paint a huge church for her wedding. She wants the church to be painted in the center of a large canvas so that guests can sign the canvas instead of a traditional guest book. We are not "close" friends, but she is close friends with some of my family members. I don't know whether I should just charge her for the materials I will have to buy or for labor as well. What do you think?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 10:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you charge her for just materials, you can consider the labor your "wedding gift".
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You should ALWAYS charge for your time. It is way more valuable than any materials would ever be.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Labor and materials.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That's true, Renee3K. I didn't think of it like that, but I don't know if I'm even invited to the wedding. lol. Like I said, we're not that close of friends.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would say charge for labor & materials, then I read Renee3k and agree with her.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Labor and materials.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i would definitely charge for labor! especially if your not invited and not close friends. i sell myself short all the time with too much of a discount and it seems like a no brainer when someone else says it but i know how hard it is to put a price on your time and talent. if you want to give a discount, definitely do it, but don't make yourself free :)
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 10:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i would charge material and labor as a wedding gift. or charge for both...

if it was a hobby and something you would be doing anyways then i would have said materials but since it don't really sound like it. and kind of sounds like a big job. probably materials and a little labor.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would say if you aren't invited to the wedding, then you should charge something for your time and I would think that's what she would expect.
    If you are invited to the wedding, then you can decide whether to charge her for the labor but purchase a wedding gift, or if you'd tell her that your painting WAS her wedding gift. I don't know if that would be an awkward conversation or not.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• When I talked to her the other day I told her it would definitely be cheaper than the ppl she talked to where she lives (they wanted to charge her like 400+ dollars) and that I would just have to figure out the cost of supplies and mailing cost (to mail it to her) before I could give her an estimated cost. She replied that I could just send it with her friend, Jamie. (Which is a great idea! and probably safer) But, from that I would gather that I'm not invited. LOL. Which doesn't bother me, but that's what I gather.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2011