Pregnant basset hound

anyone have a basset hound that had puppies? how many did she have? i read that the average is 8 but they're known to have 15 or more! I plan on keeping one baby and giving another to a friend of mine. I can sell the pups since both "parents" are akc registered bassets but idk if she can handle that many babies for her 1st litter lol

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pets

• she should be fine. just let her be and do her own thing. out of most litters one puppy usually don't make it. i have seen the runt pull through. but that's usually because the pet owners shared the love. some mothers do some done. if she is a immature dog then you will want to keep a eye on her because she will step and lay on the puppies. but most basset hounds are pretty calm so you shouldn't have to worry about that. just be sure she is getting the right foods. also most dogs do lose weight when they are nursing their young so if she starts looking on the thin side it's normal. as long as she is not acting weak and drained if she is you need to change her food or start giving her a vitamin.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 11:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We gave our dogs nutrical during and after pregnancy to keep their nutrition up to par. If your dog does have more puppies than she has teats you may need to help her feed the extra puppies. A trip to the vet will allow you to get the puppies health checked as well as professional instruction on how best to feed them and what product is best for their nutritional needs. Dogs normally don't have more puppies than they can handle but it does occasionally happen and you have to be prepared for that. GL. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• thanks...this is the first female dog i ever owned, the others were males lol i have been giving her a high protein dog food and will help her with the babies if needed....she's like my baby in a way so i want the best for her and the pups
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• thanks! this is her 1st litter and eve though she's almost 4 years old i still see her as a baby lol
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have a beagle and she had three litters. Nine pups each litter. Three died from the last litter and the other two litters three died each. I stayed with her while she was in labor. I put her in a plastic pool with blankets. I put non latex gloves on and I helped her she was tired and needed help. If u want to know more,message me,I'll tell u all of it. Congrats!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my neighbors had 12 and did really good
    miranda2011

Answer by miranda2011 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• dancer- a little stray beagle had some puppies under my house in september and again last week, she did great and only had 3 each time...i'm just worried about my dog b/c she's kind of dramatic already lol
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• it wasn't planned for them to breed, the male dog was a gift and they got it on....since they're both akc registered i can register the litter and sell the puppies that way i can have the money to get both dogs fixed so until you know what is going on mind your own fucking business and stop being a bitch
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If you have to ask, you shouldn't be breeding....get a job and stop profiting off your dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2011