Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax question

First of all, sorry to post in here, the other areas are so slow! But, it does have a little to do with relationships too. According to my custody agreement, the kids' father and I alternate claiming the kids on either even or odd years, this is my year to claim them. My SO is just planning on claiming them on his taxes, but I'm concerned because he owes money and I don't want money from MY kids going to pay off his IRS debt. I don't work, so I don't need to do taxes, but is there a way that I can, so that the money goes to me? He seems upset that I want the money, but I mean, they are my kids, I need it to get them some things that they need, and for a down payment on a car. I understand that he takes care of us and all, am I wrong to want that money?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • You can claim them even if you didnt earn $$. Your due the credit back for kid's I believe. Call a Jackson Hewitt or HR Block and ask someone to be sure.

    Answer by vbruno at 11:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • how will you file your taxes if you dont have any income? do you get income from somewhere?

    Answer by lucky35 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • that's what i'm asking...if there is a way to do it or not

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.