Toddler and baby sharing a room??

My daughter will be 2 when the baby is born. i figure the baby will be in our room for the first few months. i'd like to hear advice from someone who had to work with similar arrangements. How'd it go? Are we crazy for considering this? Our only other option is an expensive construction project in turing our den into a bedroom... not really an option. We only plan on being in this house for a few more years.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did it when my kids were little and it wasn't that bad. I think the hardest part is the timing of bed time. I would usually put the 2 year old to bed or my DH would while the other one was giving the baby a bottle. If your toddler is not a light sleeper then it might work a little better. My toddler was not a light sleeper so once he had been sleeping for a little while we would bring the baby to bed.

As far as the baby getting up at night I was lucky because he didn't wake up my toddler.

I think that at times it might be hard, although you just make the best out of it. I think that it was harder as they got older because when they were 2 and 4 they would talk and to this day they still talk when they go to bed.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i wouldn't until the baby sleeps all the way thru the night. Its not fair to the older one to be woken up every few hours

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• GREAT QUESTION!!!!!!! im planning on doing the same thing my DS will be 2 when my lil one is born!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, your new one will be with you for a little bit. By the time he/she is ready for their own room it should be fine. My only concern for you would be the new baby waking up your little girl. We all do what what have to do to get by.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My almost 3 year old shares with my almost 1 year old. Since the baby started sleeping through the night, and being able to put herself back to sleep they have shared and done really well. Sometimes I worry more about the older one waking the baby up because she's always playing with her toys in bed...
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 11:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree not to try it until baby is sleeping through the night or you will have two kids awake all night. And even then, you're going to have to play it by ear based on their sleeping habits and how your 2 year old is with the baby. My 4 and 5 year old now share a room, but when she was a toddler and he was a baby, she was not really safe with him and was always trying to poke at him and mess with him and I wouldn't have roomed them together at that point.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I had to do this with my 2 youngest and they did just fine. I kept my son in our room for a few months, then moved him. It worked out really well for us, my DD slept so soundly that she never really heard when her brother woke in the night. They are now 5 and 7, don't share a bedroom being as they are much older now but they are very close and play very well together...nobody messes with my DDs little brother, she is a very protective little sister and DS is her shadow (which I won't last forever) :) Good Luck!!!
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011