Should I break my baby from his pacifer

My little boy loves his pacifer, but he can't seem to keep it in his mouth. He sucks on it while he is napping or at bedtime too and he gets up more because he can't find his pacifer and wants help getting it in his mouth. He loves it, but he doesn't seem to keep it in his mouth. It is just aggravating to have to keep getting up all hours of the night cause he lost it. Most of the time that seems the only time he wakes up He is 4 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my rule of thumb is they shouldn't have the paci if they can walk and talk. you're fine at 4 months.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• At 4 months I don't see that you are doing any harm. By a year or so you may want to break him of it.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I never like the idea of "breaking' with babies, but I understand what you're asking.

The bad news? With or without pacifier, the waking is normal. If you don't want to give it to him, don't. But also don't expect dusk to dawn sleeping in any event. He's too young for cry it out, and the Mommy Contract does specify no sleep for you. Teeny tiny print. Subparagraph 18B. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I must of missed the fine print ;) I know my daughter started breaking herself when she was about 4 months old. He loves it so I think I will continue to let him have it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Our DD did the same thing she's 2 1/2 months, she'd just kind of wiggle and start sucking on her hand until I got up to get her pacifier. She didn't cry or even make noise besides trying to suck her hand off lol but she's content and after only a couple times of not getting up to put the pacifier back in, she just fell back asleep on her own. Does he cry until you give it back to him? If not maybe just see if he'll fall back asleep :) GL
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Too young to break him from it, enjoy the pacifying while it lasts.....

Answer by older at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• PACIFYERS SHOULD BE BANNED, IT IS A HARD HABIT TO BREAK FOR SMALL CHILDERN THAT USE THEM.
    mbaca

Answer by mbaca at 11:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Actually MBACA,, there are now studies that prove pacifiers contribute to the prevention of SIDS :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was actually reading a study a few months ago about pacifers preventing sids :) So I had already known that :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• that is the only reason my daughter has on is bc of the SIDS thing.. I had a friend's baby die of SIDS and it scares me to even think about it so I do all I can to prevent that... If it means chasing a passy all night I do! lol my daughter does the same thing sometimes... when she wasn't teething though she would go to bed with it then fall asleep pop it out and never wake up till morning! :) forget it now.. it falls out she lets me know if she can't get it back it!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011