Homeschooling Children

I am very seriously thinking about homeschooling my children for the next school year. My oldest son is having behavioral issues at school and we have tried everything possible to help him, but nothing is working. He does well at home with his homework though. He doesn't like to pay attention and talks with the other students ALL the time. My husband and I have talked about this situation and think that it would be best if we homeschool the kids. The only issue is, we live on one income on avg. of $23-25k a year. What is the avg. cost of homeschooling 2 children? And also, what is your opinion? Thanks in advance!

ProudMommie87

Asked by ProudMommie87 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• – collapse
    So, the answer to behavioral issues is not to seek therapy, dietary adjustments, or even meds... It is to isolate the child from the problem so they never learn to cope with it. THAT makes perfect sense!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• We starting homeschooling my oldest about halfway through this school year. So far the costs of homeschooling have been less than the costs of sending him to school. We did not buy an expensive curriculum. We put together our own curriculum based on his interests, which was a lot more time consuming then purchasing a ready-made one but not expensive and well worth the effort. We spent $30 on books.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• To ObbyDobbie- We have tried all of those things you mentioned.. Nothing is working!!!! And he would not be isolated. He currently is playing baseball, has cousins to play with regularly, and also has 2 brothers... So he would most def. NOT be isolated!
    ProudMommie87

Comment by ProudMommie87 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• To Riotgrrl- Thanks very much! I have researched different sites and they all say it is either the same price or cheaper, so that sounds great! Thanks so much for your answer!
    ProudMommie87

Comment by ProudMommie87 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We've been a homeschooling family since 1990 & we've used a variety of curriculum costing different amounts. Right now, we're enrolled in the Connections academy & it's totally free. It includes all the student books, teacher books & all the supplies you need to complete the lessons. Another curriculum we've used in the past & which I will be going back to next year, is Bob Jones University Press. It costs about 600.00 a year depending on the grade. However, you can find it in a variety of places, used, at a really reasonable cost.

BTW, homeschooling is far from isolation. In most cases, it provides a better social & learning experience than that of the public school system & even some private schools.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Here's a pic of all the supplies we received this year for Kindergarten through Connectins Academy... plus a computer & printer, all at no cost to us...

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• WOW! Thank you so much!
    ProudMommie87

Comment by ProudMommie87 (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011