Hibuscus plant; do you find them easy to care for?

we just got one and it seems a bit hard. But then I can't keep a plant alive to save my life.

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Where do you live? That makes a difference. We had big hibiscus shrubs in our yard in CA that did just fine. They are the state flower in Hawaii, and remember it rains every day in Hawaii, so they need lots of water, and warmth, and sunlight.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• There are a bunch of different varieties. Some are quite hardy and come back every year, even in Kentucky, where I live. Others are more tropical and will only survive during the summers. Those ones can be brought inside and kept through the winter, though. I just saw a new shipment of the tropical ones at Sam's.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• there are hundreds of different hibiscus plants. The ones that grow here in GA, called "Rose of Sharon" grow everywhere as a hige shrub. They are actually invasive & grow anywhere & everywhere. But, they are pretty.

The more tropical ones are harder, because they need heat & humidity. Most hibiscus do not grow well in dry climates. If you have a sunny location in your bathroom, that would be an ideal place for it to live. Those baths & showers put a lot of moisture int he air. You can also mist it with a water bottle here & there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Huge - not hige...
    samurai_chica

• I got some cuttings sent to me by a friend on Garden Web when we did a trade. She sent 'Red Sheild', a completely red variety, with red stems and leaves, and I didn't think they were going to make it, but this morning I found new growth on one of the cuttings! I hope it is as easy to care for as it was to root it!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I live in MN. Its in front of a window. can't plant it until we get a yard. can't wait.
    Baby4us09

Comment by Baby4us09 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have one on my front patio (we live in Las Vegas). The last two winters, it has looked completely dry and dead this time of year. Last year, it just started blooming like crazy around the time I was going to rip it out and plant something out. I really did think it was dead. This year, it looks dead again, but I'm giving it loads of water and hoping it will live again this year. They take so much more water than any other plant I've had.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Im in Illinois and planted "hardy" seeds 2 years ago and they are more beautiful each year. Can't wait til this summer!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2011