Motorcycle helmet fight

my husband has been talking about getting a motorcycle, and that's all fine and good with me it will help around the house in the end kuse right now we share a 4 door family car and it will also help with gas since its almost up to 4 dollars. at the moment i drop him off to work so i can have the car if something happens to the kids. but this morning we got in to a big fight over the helmet. its not that he doesn't want to use one at all he just wants to spend like 50 on a little walmart brand. i have been riding ATVs and bikes since i was a little girl with my much older brother. he got in to a wreck on the ATV one day, he had spent a good deal on his helmet. the AVT was totaled. the helmet had one crack in it. the dr told my mom and me that if he would have had some cheap or no helmet at all i would not have a brother. so i want my husband to have good one too. he fought me over it as if i was doubting him then i pointed out that it wasnt him it was the others that where on the road. i just dropped it but i dont want him on the bike with out a good helmet. how do i get him to either see my point or get something better with out fighting over it.

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 12:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• Buy it for him,and.tear receipt up!
    hazeleyezmommy

Answer by hazeleyezmommy at 12:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• As long as it is DOT approved, it will keep him as safe as any helmet can. A helmet does not get DOT approval unless it meets very specific requirements. The fact is, cheap or not, a helmet can only do so much. In a severe enough accident, a $10,000 helmet may not be enough to protect him.

Instead of fighting him over the helmet, I would instead be encouraging him to take a training course and really familiarize himself with motorcycle safety. That will help him be safer so that he can watch out for those cars that won't be watching for him and that will do more to keep him safe than spending more money on a helmet.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• we have talked about the safety class and with us being military to ride one at all our ft makes you take a 2 week class before they let you on so that is already taken care of. but thank you for the suggestion
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree purchase him one. I have a german and a full face and i get mixed reactions on both....
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 12:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would just try to make it not about him, since it sounds like he is trying to twist it to mean "he can't drive". I would probably be sarcastic and say things like "Yeah...because accidents don't happen to YOU...just the rest of the world, right?"

I agree with the other ladies about buying it yourself.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011