I'm looking for someone to talk to about symptoms that could be leukemia...

Is anyone familiar with the symptoms of childhood leukemia? I have been worrying about some things with my 3 year old daughter and have a dr apt for her set for next week. I'm looking for something to ease my mind in the meantime bc every time I think about the possibility of her being ill, it makes me literally sick! Anyone have any support here? I keep telling myself that I'm probably overreacting and I really hope I am, but there's always that voice at the back of my mind, nagging me.

Kword

Asked by Kword at 12:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• And not to add to your worry, but some other symptoms are not only pale skin, but pale gums, swelling of the abdomen, face, and arms, bleeding easily, trouble breathing, seizures, and most commonly, swollen lymph nodes. It sounds like from the symptoms you listed, she doesn't have any of the most telling and common symptoms of leukemia.

I study medicine often during my free time, and I think she'll be fine. I'm not a medical professional, but I think her symptoms are probably a result something much less serious. Hopefully you'll get some answers at her appointment, and keep us updated. She'll be in my prayers.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Any weight loss? No appetite?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Honestly, I think you're jumping pretty far with thinking that it's leukemia. The symptoms could be a large variety of other things, all that are much more likely than leukemia. Chances are, it's something else. It's good that you're concerned and taking her to the doctor, but try not to worry. I can't begin to tell you of the things I've been worried about in the past that turned out to be nothing. I used to have anxiety and worry a lot as well, and I finally taught myself to stop because never once did the worry I had turn out to be the reality of the situation.

As for the appetite, my son goes through days like that. It comes an goes in spurts. Some days he'll eat a ton, others he'll seem content with very little, and he's very healthy.

And whatever you do, don't look up her symptoms on the internet. I caused myself too much worry doing that bc EVERY symptom can be linked to cancer if you look it up on the internet.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i know a little about leukemia. symptoms include unexplainable bruising, joint pain, frequent infections and fevers, dark patches in the rolls of the skin(like the under arm)
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It seems like she gets sick a lot. She's pale, but has always been fair skinned I guess, her eyes always look tired, she's been a really finicky eater lately, and right now she has a fever (not above 101.1) for two days with no other symptoms other than being tired (no runny nose or anything like her sister and I have had), She is really tall for her age, so she sometimes has joint pain (which could be growing pains), and her knees and legs always have a few bruises from bumps and falls. I don't know if I'm just putting all this stuff together out of worry and making it into something bigger. I have panic disorder so I tend to worry about things others may look over, but I talked to my hubby about my concerns last night and he also thinks we should have her checked out, so now I'm even more worried.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• a simple blood test can be done to rule it out. bruising caused by bumping into things is not leukemia. leukemia causes many bruises to pop up out of no where for no apparent reason. it could also be anemia. anemia does not cause bruising, however it can make you more prone to bruising, and will also weaken your immune system. could be vitamin deficiencies as well. does she take vitamins?
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• yes sudden and unexplainable weight loss is also a symptom, such as dropping 10 lbs in a week
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No, she doesn't take vitamins on a regular basis. I will definitely ask her dr about it Thursday, ty. I don't think she's lost any weight, but she definitely doesn't eat too much. She could have a tummy bug or something right now (has a small fever) that is making her not want to eat as much, but she didn't eat like any dinner the night bf last, didn't eat breakfast yesterday, only ate two chicken nuggets for lunch yesterday, picked at her snack, and only ate a yogurt and a bite of her dinner.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• ok well make sure you get her on multivitamins regularly. the children's gummy vitamins are great. i cannot stress how important multivitamins are for everyone, not just children. they will boost her immune system
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If her doctor was worried about cancer, he wouldn't wait to see her until next week, he'd have already had her tested. Some kids are just sickly, so hopefully that's all it is.
    Anonymous