How do you keep your kids out of the fridge?

My 10yr. old gets up in the middle of the night and gets in the fridge and goes through the cupboards. Sometimes when I get up in the morning the door is still open. She has some mental handicaps, developmentally delayed and she does have picca. I just need some ideas on how to keep her out of the fridge.

HeidisMom800

Asked by HeidisMom800 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would put a lock on the fridge which you can find at any dept store..not a regular lock one that is made for a fridge..
    MrsMouse

Answer by MrsMouse at 12:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• When we needed to keep our door secure, we bought a Safety-First Oven lock. . . . It is like a band that snaps together, binding the door to the base unit. We just popped it on the fridge instead. If she is high functioning enough to get that open, I would buy some cables and a padlock at the hardware store. Fasten the doors shut at night, and take the padlock off in the morning.

Another option would be installing some sort of door at the entrance of the kitchen or the entrance to the sleeping spaces . . . that might help keep her in the badroom/bathroom areas while everyone is sleeping.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• What I did because my oldest has autism/aspergers is I went to a home store and got a cabinet with a lock for all the snacks and anything you could eat with heating up and then the fridge needs an alarm or chain with a combo lock, the regular padlock can be picked
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011